Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fun and done patterns >

Fun and done patterns

Fun and done patterns

Old 06-05-2013, 04:56 AM

The fun and done are very sturdy!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:07 AM

I made one of these recently. The seams are very strong and they should hold up well. The pattern tells you to adjust the stitch length (from 2.5 to 2.0) when joining the blocks together to add strength to that part of the quilt. The block buddy works great to get the precise size of the pieces.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:29 AM

I made one and my seams are coming apart. You have only one seam holding the blocks togather and it is the backing fabric only. You need to shorten your stitch length and stitch as close as you can get to the blocks.
This makes a stiff quilt also so will not make another one.
I bought the rulers and the inside one is 7 1/2 in so it comes in handy when you need this odd size.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:32 AM

I've done one and haven't had any problems. It was the first quilt I ever made.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:45 AM

I have used this method twice with no problems. [ATTACH=CONFIG]417290[/ATTACH] The first was a rather large quilt for my daughter made out of pajama flannels; the second was a flannel floor quilt for my two newest grand babies. That was posted recently at: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t221614.html
I chose this method on both because of size and bulk. It enabled me to quilt it myself on my DSM with only a 6 1/2" throat. I would definitely use that method again. BTW: my daughter uses it every day during the winter on her bed, with her large dogs and it has held up to them AND numerous washings over the last two years. I make them to be used
Attached Thumbnails side-one-katies-flannel-quilt.jpg  
Old 06-05-2013, 09:32 AM

Tried the video on Fun and Done on Bayside as suggested and it wouldn't work on my Mac, just turned up all gibberish. Why?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:54 PM

When I clicked the link at Bayside it opened up "Windows Media Player" to view it. I'm guessing that is the default viewer built into that video. I remember searching for a long time for other tutes on it and did again just now, but can't find any.

Originally Posted by justme CA View Post
Tried the video on Fun and Done on Bayside as suggested and it wouldn't work on my Mac, just turned up all gibberish. Why?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:29 PM

Default alternate approach

I use this technique to do wall hangings from embroidery. i design my own embroidery with embird and use a loose line drawing instead of a dense embroidery.
i take a backing fabric and hoop it and then take a sandwich of thin batting (normall polar fleece) and my top fabric, spray adhere the batting and top, then cut to 4 or 5 or whatever size i want - don't need to be square, rectangular shapes also work fine.
then spray the back of the batting and place on the hooped backing. then to the embroidery machine and stitch through all 3 layers. if i use a light color on the front i use a dark thread on top and a dark on the back use a light thread. the back and front both get embroidered at the same time. normally i use a solid top and backing.

once each square is done, you can trim the edges to 1 inch, sew together - i use my zipper foot to sew these together as i can get right up to the edge of the sandwich without the foot riding on the sandwich, turn and sew as done in the video. if i want a lighter or more interesting design, i will take my serger and serve a contracting color thread around all 4 edges of the backing after it has been trimmed, then fold over only once and top stitch with the same color thread which makes the machine sewing disappear in the serged thread. that puts a color border around each square.

you can control how heavy the quilt is by the batting you add and whether you use 1 or 2 thicknesses in the turn over to each block.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:51 PM

I made a quilt for our bed out of crumb blocks in the fun and done method. It has held up fine. No troubles putting it together, either. Since I used a new sheet for the back of the blocks, it will probably last forever.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:03 PM

I've made a couple of wall hangings / table runners / placemats / pot holders using the COTTON THEORY method (very similar to Fun & Done and the Quilt-As-You-Go). They are VERY STURDY (and the kitchen items get LOTS of washing due to my 8 & 9 year olds). They have held up quite well and were very fun to sew.