Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fun and done patterns >

Fun and done patterns

Fun and done patterns

Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 AM

Default Fun and done patterns

I just purchased one of the Fun and Done patterns. I was worried about how the blocks were put together. When you stitch the blocks together and fold the edges over the block and stitch down, how sturdy do you think the quilt will be using this technique? I wanted to do a baby quilt so it will be used alot and wash alot.

Angie
Old 06-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

I haven't done one of those but it's just quilt as you go style. I can't see that it would be any weaker. Maybe someone will chime in here.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Stitch as you go is a common way of putting together a quilt. It should be strong enough for the washings.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:51 AM

I have one that's been washed many times. It's still fine.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:19 PM

I really like the first fun and done that looks like a string quilt. Do you need anything else other than the pattern to make it?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

I think the fun and done method would be sturdy enough for a baby quilt. I will say, however, that I had a very hard time aligning the squares with this method. It was the only quilt I've never completed.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:52 PM

I gave up on doing the assembly her way. I zigzagged blocks together, put a narrow sashing strip on the back and a wider one on the front. I got tired of burning my fingers trying to iron the sashing from instructions. Quilt looks just the same on the front.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:43 PM

I made a quilt using a Fun and Done as a inspiration. I didn't buy the Batting Buddy they sell, since the blocks that I wanted to make for a baby quiltwould be too large. So I went to the dollar store,bought some flexible cutting boards, and made my own templates. I also made my own pattern. It turned out lovely, I am planning on making more with this quilt as you go method. I didn't have any problem lining the blocks up as one poster here did. You make the backing larger than the pieced block and the batting. Then you sew the block together,then you turn down the seams twice and sew it down. As I said, it turned out lovely. I am considering using this method on my next quilt. The nice thing is, when you have the block sewn together and the seams sewn down, you're done! Try it, I think you might like it. Go to Bayside Quilting and look at the fun and done video to show you how it goes together.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 PM

Thanks for all the post. I'm going to give it a try this weekend. Angie
Old 06-05-2013, 04:24 AM

If sewn with the proper distance from folded edge, these quilts wash well. It is a quick method to get the job done and there is no need to machine quilt afterwards...it's already done! Enjoy making it and the recipient will love it!