Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Funeral quilt >

Funeral quilt

Funeral quilt

Old 01-20-2014, 10:24 AM

Very interesting! I've never heard of that before.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:29 AM
cjr

beautiful quilt. i'm a retired florist and would like to offer a couple of comments. First regarding the ribbon - large 3" plus wide ribbon was used extensively in both wedding and funeral work, up until the 60s or 70s. The ribbons were high quality woven fabric made from real satin, silk, velvet or materials. Much of todays florist ribbon is made from acetate, also waterproof and affordable. Large elaborate bows went out of style many years ago. there are still some of the older type of ribbons made but they have become very pricey therefore used much more moderately.

Funeral customs vary greatly in different regions of the USA. Also have changed in the last 10 years or so as more cremations are done verses the traditional 3 day wake
Old 01-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

very interesting. i'd love to go to the museum, I was a casket embroider when I was working. best job ever and I got to be creative too
Old 01-20-2014, 02:20 PM

How interesting, you learn something new all the time! Thanks!!

Old 01-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing your date with us. I also find this kind of thing interesting, and love to visit galleries, collections and museums. I think I'd rather go to a museum than a gay bar (I'm not the party type). It is amazing how customs vary from region to region within one country.

I used to visit cemeteries quite often when my youngest son was working in the monumental masonry business. Learned a whole lot about monumental art and symbolism.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
My family is from the South and there was a time when the funeral ribbons were given to a family member to create funeral pillows. The ribbon was cut and folded to look like flower petals. They were sewn onto a round pillow for, and a large button was added to the center. Looked like a daliha when it was done. Close family members would receive the pillows. Cool idea for a quilt.
I remember seeing a pillow with dfferent coloured ribbon folded into points at the houses of my great Aunts and my Grandmother when I was a child. The pillows were either round or heart shaped and I remember one mounted on the wall. I thought that perhaps they may have been a "sewing/craft" item that was made but they could have possibly been made as a memorial. I will have to ask my 90 yr old Mom if she remembers items being made in remembrance.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:29 PM

Hmmm - wonder what the 3rd date will be? Or will there be a 3rd date?

Good luck!!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

This is amazing. The whole story. I know I would find something like this interesting to. I am one of those that don't find passing to be morbid, it is part of life.

I want to here more about your dating as or if it progresses. The two of you can start a dating idea service as far as I'm concerned. What an intriguing date!
peace
Old 01-20-2014, 04:23 PM

This brings back memories. A quilt was made either by my grandmother or mother from the floral ribbons when my grandfather died in 1955. I need to look at the construction method the next time I visit my brother!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:41 PM

Well, that was a creative date. I like any museum, and this one would be interesting to see how folks have managed to deal with their grief and have memories to remember their loved ones. We still make memory quilts, but usually using shirts or ties.
And yes, do tell...will there be a third date?