Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FYI - Walmart >

FYI - Walmart

FYI - Walmart

Old 06-21-2010, 07:34 AM

Well ladies, we will just have to use this wonderful internet to order our fabrics. Yes, we will have to pay shipping but most stores try really hard to charge the least am't possible. I have never been disappointed in a fabric purchased on line. One time I bought a kit and one of the Blues section was short one piece. I called and she sent me a whole envelope of blues so I could pick the missing one. Also included a postage paid envelope so I could return the other ones. Now THAT is good service.!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
I live in Halifax Va and our WM still has just bolts.
Same here in my part of 'Florida - we lost all fabric and only have a bit of crafting items left.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:41 AM

my local walmart fabric dept is not yet doing that. we are still full service. Saukville, WI
Old 06-21-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by wildirishrose
Well ladies, we will just have to use this wonderful internet to order our fabrics. Yes, we will have to pay shipping but most stores try really hard to charge the least am't possible. I have never been disappointed in a fabric purchased on line. One time I bought a kit and one of the Blues section was short one piece. I called and she sent me a whole envelope of blues so I could pick the missing one. Also included a postage paid envelope so I could return the other ones. Now THAT is good service.!
I've found a few websites but not sure about their reliability. Would you be so kind as to let us know the ones that you like? I'd trust your judgment where you've already dealt with them. Thanks!!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by hawghugger
I got a reply from the manager that oversee's that department, fabric/crafts. In a nut shell, she told me that the fabric and quilting was a thing of the past, a dying art, so to speak, and the trend is moving towards family celebrations. Therefore, the fabric will be removed from all the stores within two years and the craft/celebration dept will their replacement.
Holy moley! I hope that wasn't a talking point WM HQ gave that manager. Sad. :thumbdown:
Old 06-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Administrator

well, because i love you guys so much, i made the ultimate sacrifice to research. i wandered over to my local wm fab dept a little while ago.

truth up front: there's nothing scientific about my determinations. they based entirely on the World Famous PatriceJ Snooty Scale. (trademark, patent, and copyright registration pending. but i don't worry. it's all in my head. anybody brave enough to go wandering around in there to copy it is crazier than me. :lol: )

i'd pass on most of the precuts. the batiks are priced appropriately, but most of the other precuts add up to around $5 per yard. for that you can find a wider selection online and get the number of yards you want. even with shipping you will either spend the same or less. chances are, the fabrics you get will be a bit thickier. (i'm soooooooo sick of the word "quality" at this point i hate to even type it. :lol: )

the fat quarters are priced about right given the prices being charged everywhere else. a year ago, i'd have said walk on by. select very carefully, though. some are priced accurately at the per/yard rate of $4. at least half of them are worth $2 PY tops.

i did notice some very interesting developments among the on-the-bolt racks. some of the newer items are printed on a very different material. a bit shoppish, if i do say so myself. not LQShoppish, but i wouldn't be surprised to find them at either J or H for $7 to $8 per yard. they are selling for just under $3.

at anywhere between $3 and $4 per yard it's a value. $5 at the outside, depending on the cost of living in your shopping area.

again ... because i am such a good friend, i forced myself to buy a bit. after i've tortured it in the prewash and dryer i'll let you know whether or not it held up as i think it will.

more pretty fabric for my stash. the things i do for you people.

:lol:
Old 06-21-2010, 03:27 PM

Walmart here in S FL have no material.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:02 PM

Garland Tx. has it.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:50 AM
Banned

Thanks PatriceJ for your sacrifice of time, research, evaluation, and expert reporting! We will stay tuned for the wash/dry test evaluation.

I will let you all know what our store does as time goes on with our remodel.
They moved the dept over the last couple of days(Or were supposed to) to a temp location for now. I get to go to work today and search for where they put it! :lol:

I did notice the newest bolt fabric that came in for fall ---- not the best 'thickness'. I thought it was for the $2 table, but it was $2.44.

I work there and am not a happy camper!

They have pillow case kits for $8.00 a kit which makes one pillow case! Fabric is what we sell for $4.44- $4.94 /y.

Well, it's off to work.....
Old 06-22-2010, 03:21 AM
Administrator

WELL!!! [she said breathlessly] here is what i found.

i purposely bought a light print. i tested it against a similarly light print from an LQS. light prints are almost always at least a bit transparent no matter how much you spend so i thought that would be a good place to start.

after washer and dryer, i laid "wally" next to a fab i'd bought from an LQS. i was flabbergasted to note that both fabs were identical in transparency and that the wm fab still felt nicer than the shop fab after washing. to be fair, i think the shop fab was printed on a high thread-count muslin, so it could just be the difference in the unprinted materials - both of which are very nice in their own way.

surely, i thought, this must be the product of a hopeful imagination. so i pulled out a second shop fab. i was very careful to select one printed on a material similar to "wally". it was slightly less transparent and ever-so-slightly silkier to the touch.

bottom line? "wally" moves up several notches on the Snooty Scale. :-)

here's the other shocker. "wally" is a David's print. some of you may remember my recent nightmare with dark blue and dark red David's fabs not printed in the US.

so, i am pleased and relieved to report that i will only be avoiding very dark colors from the non-US David's lines from now on. i do not have to abandon them altogether. YIPPEE!!! :-)

wrong sides
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88469[/ATTACH]

right sides
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88470[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-88464.jpe   attachment-88465.jpe