Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Games for a Quilt Retreat >

Games for a Quilt Retreat

Games for a Quilt Retreat

Old 08-20-2008, 12:16 PM

Those all sound so fun - I want to go on a retreat!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 07:00 PM

All the games sound GREAT. Thanks.
Patty
Old 08-20-2008, 07:36 PM

I just scanned thru some of the backlogged material and found some neat games submitted by bj9patch that I am going to use and some of the other quilters back in 2006. Wow - this is such a neat web site. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Skeat
another fun one is to buy the sticker stars (at walmart, etc) and give everyone a sheet or two...then tell them they are the quiltoskito (misquito) and they are to put their bites all over people all during the retreat, etc...for the day. Only they are to bite w/their stickers and try not to be noticed doing it. It's great fun and funny to see people walking around w/stickers all over them and they are really not aware of how many they have been zapped with...then surprise them at the end of the day w/a small gift for the one that seems to have the most 'sugar' or they wouldn't have been bit as much:))You can come up w/a different variation of this...but, it is really fun and keeps things alive and exciting!:0)
Oh Skeat, I love this idea!! I may have to suggest this for my retreat!!!! How absolutely hysterical! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-21-2008, 05:52 AM

Steph...it is really funny!! For people are serious in their work and they will hold something up to talk to you about it, etc w/a serious face and all over them are these stickers!:))They have no idea and if you ask they will tell you they have a few...:))Only there are 50!:))It's hard not to crack up!:))
Old 08-07-2009, 06:57 AM

Games that we play at my retreats are: Right - Left - Center. Each person begins with 3 FQs. Google to find a place to buy the dice and read the rules.

This site offers some fun word searches and crossword puzzles: http://www.quiltcampus.net/Library/P...gs/index.html.

We also play Farkle (another dice game....no skill involved!) Again, google to find the directions. No special dice are needed, however, you do need 6 die to play.

We also do a daily quarter jar: One day, it may be cussing. Every time you do it, you owe a quarter into the jar. The first time you 'ante up', and ONLY the first time, you put your name on a slip of paper. The next morning, 1 name is drawn to win the pot. The next day, we do a ripping jar. Same concept....this one can get EXPENSIVE!!! The winner always gets a huge stack of quarters.

The place where we go has Sirius/XM radio. We pick a station we all have a chance at knowing the songs on. One person who's on a 'break' will watch the receiver that displays the song/artist title. As soon as a new song comes on, we yell out the information. Bonus: sometimes they display the YEAR too! This is just a non-monetary fun game.

As we all know, quilters like to collect "stuff" we never get a chance at using. Patterns, gadgets, fabric, whatever. It is nice when you can all donate 1-2 items to make up a "treasure chest" for whoever wins the word searches, etc.

The goal of the retreat is never to be a financial burden to attend. I feel that each gal brining 1-2 donated items, 3 FQs to play RLC and about $5 in quarters shouldn't break anyones bank. Of course, list the games as OPTIONAL, that way, if someone is experiencing financial difficulty, they can bow out gracefully (or, if you're in the position, you can float them what they need to pay, with the "catch" being if you friend wins with your donated stuff, you split it 50/50)

Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

I make my own word search games in the computer spread sheet. You could give prizes for whomever finds all the words first, and who finds the hardest one.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:23 PM

There's nothing wrong with classics like Charades, Trivial Pursuit, even Pictionary.

And I seldom hear of people playing Botticelli, but just think, you can play this and quilt at the same time. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botticelli_(game)
Old 08-07-2009, 08:11 PM

Bingo for quarters!! The fun secret is you will have a 'white elephant' one put in the group on purpose. A good white elephant would be an old poly fabric w/tube paint painted on it...:))Real ugly...
I really seriously hate getting stuck with trash to amuse other people.

We play dirty santa bingo every year for our Christmas party but all the prizes are nice stuff that anybody might want.

Our rules, when you bingo you get to pick fat quarters or one of the bagged gifts. If you choose a gift then you open the gift and leave it on the front of your table. The next person that bingos can choose your gift or a new gift. A gift can only be stolen twice and we bingo three times before cleaning off the cards and starting over. We always use M&Ms to cover the numbers so the cards can be used over and over.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by mamatobugboo
another fun one is to buy the sticker stars (at walmart, etc) and give everyone a sheet or two...then tell them they are the quiltoskito (misquito) and they are to put their bites all over people all during the retreat, etc...for the day. Only they are to bite w/their stickers and try not to be noticed doing it. It's great fun and funny to see people walking around w/stickers all over them and they are really not aware of how many they have been zapped with...then surprise them at the end of the day w/a small gift for the one that seems to have the most 'sugar' or they wouldn't have been bit as much:))You can come up w/a different variation of this...but, it is really fun and keeps things alive and exciting!:0)
Oh Skeat, I love this idea!! I may have to suggest this for my retreat!!!! How absolutely hysterical! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is! To see so many stickers on a person and the places they sneak them w/o them really knowing!LOL It is real funny!LOL Skeat