Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
General cost of sewing machine tune-up? >

General cost of sewing machine tune-up?

General cost of sewing machine tune-up?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:49 AM

I have a Baby lock and it is still under warranty. But my dealer is no longer a dealer and I will have to take it or sent it to Jacksonville, Fl or Charleston, SC. I live near Savannah, GA. If I take it to the local Sewing mechanic I will lose my warranty, so I am trying to keep it clean. If you have a computer rized one DO NOT USE ANY OIL on it and also keep magnets away.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:00 AM

I don't have a fancy machine...my Singer 7426 was 2 years old, been used quite a lot and I got it back 2 days ago. It cost me $99.00 for a cleaning/tune-up.
I do clean it after 10 bobbins of thread.
I heard that tip ages ago an saw it recently in something I was reading....wind 10 bobbins and when you run out, change the needle and clean out the lint...then run 10 more :)
Old 07-02-2009, 01:00 PM

My computerized Pfaffs get cleaned/serviced in AZ once a year for $85. They always call if parts are needed - but none has been so far. Time depends on how busy they are - never more than a week. They have a blackboard in the shop that says 'Machines brought in today will be ready XXX', so you know before you drop it off. There's a LOT of dust in the air in AZ, so cleaning is a smart thing to have done professionally.

I do the same in CT - but have a new dealer, so I don't know the charge yet. I have 2 machines in CT, so I'm never without a machine here, knock on wood!

I use my machines almost daily, and I clean the lint out every time I change bobbins. I think the annual cleaning/servicing is worth it to stave off problems BEFORE they happen. I really trust both of my dealers. They're in business for REPEAT business.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:02 PM

I have a Janome 9000 and it has always gone in once per year - cost is about $125-$150. The longest it has ever been in the shop is 1 week because it had a broken part (didn't know it - it kept sewing for me). I have several other machines so being without one isn't so critical for me. I have 2 Singer Featherweights and I just do them myself since they aren't computerized. I have a Bernina and it runs me about $85. Just got a new Janome 6600 and according to the manual it says it should be serviced once per year. My 9000 is my heaviest used machine.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by patsyo56721
I have a Baby lock and it is still under warranty. But my dealer is no longer a dealer and I will have to take it or sent it to Jacksonville, Fl or Charleston, SC. I live near Savannah, GA. If I take it to the local Sewing mechanic I will lose my warranty, so I am trying to keep it clean. If you have a computer rized one DO NOT USE ANY OIL on it and also keep magnets away.
Sue Hausmann of Viking & now Pfaff and my local Pff/Viking dealer BOTH say it's ok to use the magnet seam guide on a computerized machine.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by patsyo56721
Sue Hausmann of Viking & now Pfaff and my local Pff/Viking dealer BOTH say it's ok to use the magnet seam guide on a computerized machine.

Also, my 3 computerized Pfaffs CAME WITH sewing machine oil and instructions on the ONLY place to use it.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:16 PM

My little Janome is due for it's first cleanup. I will take it in before we go away for a week so it will be done when we get back. I expect it will cost $90. That is at the dealership.

judee
Old 07-02-2009, 01:19 PM

If you have a computerized machine, I found out that the lint from quilting will pack in behind your screen. My Janome dealer pointed this out when I was slow in getting it cleaned. He is in another town.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by lfw045
I know I'm going to probably get slammed for this one but here goes.....what's new......rofl. I have had my Singer since 1979 and it has gone through a lot of sewing since then. The gears are encased with oil as per the instruction book that came with it, it never needs oiling. I keep the lint out of it myself on a regular basis and it is a workhorse. It has never (thank the Lord) seen the inside of a shop.
Ditto for my 20 year old Viking 150E.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:36 PM

For heavy use, like the quilting that we do, it is recommended to have the machine serviced at least once a year....My dealership charges $60 + the cost of parts. I recently picked up one of my machines, and because of a major klunk and such, cost $145. But, I treasure that machine and it is the 1st repair I've had on it. Normally, just tune-up.

Isn't it worth the cost to baby our sweet little machines?