Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
General cost of sewing machine tune-up? >

General cost of sewing machine tune-up?

General cost of sewing machine tune-up?

Old 07-06-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dodie
I have a Pfaff and a Bernina and I take mine in yearly it runs about 75.00 dollars a machine but I look at it this way how long would I run my car without an oil change and I do work my machines hard and I feel the check
ups will allow my machines to run longer
I agree wholeheartedly with Dodie here - it is preventative maintenance, just as we would do on any number of other things. I have to disagree with anyone who thinks they can clean all of the lint out of (at least the bigger machines) themselves after what I've seen. I had my main machine serviced in April, and dropped a screw down into it in June, requiring a trip to the dealer and the removal of all of the covers to get it out. I couldn't believe how much lint was in that machine! My dealer knows I'm a cleaning fanatic; I clean her out at each bobbin change. ( I was mortified; she just laughed at me, telling me she has seen much, much worse!)

I just don't understand the sentiment that everything is a rip-off; I certainly can't take my machines apart and expect them to work properly if I ever got them back together. After looking at the lint I couldn't get to after just 2 months, there is no doubt my dealer earns that money when I take my babies in :D
Old 09-06-2009, 07:44 PM

I just took my Pfaff 1473 in for service - it was clicking and the tension was giving me fits. I can usually fix any problems it has but NOT this one. First time ever !!! It gets it's usual annual D&C. This time it turns out that part of it needs to rebuilt (something to do with a hook). If I ordered a new part it would be $400 but getting it rebuilt and a good cleaning is going to cost $200. I have a Pfaff 7570 that I'm using also but wouldn't part with the 1473. It's 21 years old, takes a licking and keeps on ticking. The repairman said, "You obviously use this for what it's supposed to be used - sewing". Because of the age, all metal parts rubbing, it was wearing down. But he said it was worth the $ to repair it. It's a machine that I use to teach all the kids how to sew on - they can't mess it up. He said I'll get another 20 years minimum out of it. I trust this guy explicitly - I've bought this machine from him and he knows I'd be knocking on his door if there were problems with it after he fixed it. It's a 75 year old family business and he's known throughout the state.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:59 PM

i don't know if i could go without my last one that long but it would be beniefical
to the machine if it had a regular checkup
Old 09-06-2009, 08:58 PM

It gets it's annual checkup so can't figure it out other than age and wear, metal against metal. I get it back next Tuesday - 11 days is a long time to be without my "baby".