Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
General cost of sewing machine tune-up? >

General cost of sewing machine tune-up?

General cost of sewing machine tune-up?

Old 07-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

gee, I paid $70.00 for an annual tune-up, which isn't sooo bad, but I didn't get it back for a month!
So, I now have two machines, so I can rotate. You all must live in bigger places.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:00 PM

I have a Viking SE and it costs $100 for cleaning and they also adjust the timing. I have it done every 14 or 15 months. I periodically clean it as much as I can with a small vacuum. Sewing today is getting very high-maintenance!
Old 07-03-2009, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Originally Posted by JoanneS
And the older non-computerized machines do need to be oiled - but those manuals usually show you where to do it.
Not necessarily. My 20 year old, non-computerized Viking requires no oiling and warns against doing so.
Whoops - I meant to say MANY OF the older --etc etc. Thanks for seeing my blooper and correcting it. The main thing, is we should all be checking our machine's manuals.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:15 PM

I have a Pfaff and a Bernina and I take mine in yearly it runs about 75.00 dollars a machine but I look at it this way how long would I run my car without an oil change and I do work my machines hard and I feel the check
ups will allow my machines to run longer
Old 07-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

I have a "vintage" Pinnock made in South Australia in the 1950's and a very basic model Singer which I purchased new for $120 about 20 years ago. Never have either of these machines been serviced by a sewing machine technician....my husband regularly does a service and clean up, sorts out tension issues etc.

I know machines should be serviced annually. But mine tick over nicely with the "home" service technique.

If however, I possessed a new, computerised and less simplistic machine I would be inclined to seek professional advice and services. It's like cars really, old technology is easier to fix on the homefront. Once the technology gets complicated and units are sealed and computerised, it's time to use the experts. Also warranties can be void if machines are tampered with or serviced by people other than on the recommended repairers list.

You can save considerably by "shopping around" and asking for quotes. I guess though that is not always possible if you live in a more remote area. Maybe putting a little aside each week would lessen the "pain" of your workhorse's annual check up.

If you think about it, the cost of some of the newer machines is actually more than some of the cars we drive!
Old 07-05-2009, 10:18 AM

I have a viking se I have it serviced once a year. It costs about 65 plus any parts. I live a long way from this particular dealer so I call and make an appointment and usually get it back the same day. There is another dealer a little closer but they charge over $100 and are a little on the rude side.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:11 AM

Know how it is when they are on the rude side. You would rather take the distance.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:55 PM

I take my computerized Bernina in about once a year. It costs me $85 and runs and sounds like a dream when all the lint is cleaned out. I've only had it in twice so far and the first time was a week cause the repair man was out of town. The last time I got it back the next day. It is nice that the shop is really close and they know me well over there.
My old Pfaff went 15 years without a tuneup-cleaning. It ran great. Once I realized how good it was for the machine I think I took it every 18 mos or so. I had to travel only 10 miles for that one and it was usually an overnight cause the repairman traveled to the shop for a day to do all the repairs.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:58 AM

I have an elna 6003 which I've had for eight years, and have never had it professionally tuned, etc. I recently had a funny grumbling noise that had me worried to the point of looking up the pricing, but the noise stopped, and my DH grumbled about why it is recommended that it be done annually. Then I started having an intermittent squeak in the bobbin winding area (where you are not supposed to poke around), so I'm thinking I should get her looked at. In my area (western NY - Rochester), the price is $75.00. The repairman has an arrangement with the shop where I bought the machine - he picks them up and drops them off on a certain day every week. Parts are extra, and you can call him to find out what the damages are before you pick it up. I also have the option of taking it directly to his shop (either way, it's a little bit of a drive). The repair shop also has a $10 coupon in the telephone book. The ladies at the fabric/sewing shop talk like the repair guy is an absolute angel. Now that I've read all of your comments, and finished the projects I was working on when the noises started, I think I'll be getting the tune-up. I don't feel too bad about the eight years, because I didn't use her that much for the first four. I've really only put her to the test for the last two years, I'd say. She did have a monstrous aamount of lint in the reachable places, so she probably has a bunch elsewhere. Thanks to you all for all the input - and it's nice to see so many other elna users out there!
Old 07-06-2009, 11:30 AM

I work for a quilt shop in Northern NJ and we charge $79.95 for a cleaning & tuneup. Machines should be professionally cleaned annually (or even more frequently depending on amount of usage).