Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
General cost of sewing machine tune-up? >

General cost of sewing machine tune-up?

General cost of sewing machine tune-up?

Old 07-02-2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by lfw045
Originally Posted by Quiltntime
I've had my Viking for 4 yrs., and it's never been cleaned.

Just wondering when the dealer advises it to be cleaned, what's in the process? It's all computerized, and sealed. So, as long as I blow out the lint with an air compressor once in awhile what else could a dealer do.

Guess, I'm being a devil's advocate, but my thinking is, why fix something that isn't broke! :twisted:

I have to agree with you there. My Mom's 1952 Singer has never been to a shop. My mother and with my Dad's assistance even replaced the belt when it broke. She always cleaned and oiled it herself. She sewed on it daily. It is still to this day being used by me. I just cleaned and oiled it a couple of months ago.

Canned air I would not use on either of my machines. These dealers are making a killing on these new machines suggesting they get yearly cleanings. Most of the new ones are encased and never have to be oiled......mine is and we bought it in 1978. Just delinting it should be good unless it jumps timing....in which case you would maybe have to take it in then.

I don't know.......each to his or her own.......

Each to his own I guess
I really have to disagree with both of you. I trust both my AZ and CT Pfaff/Viking dealers, and have them service my machines annually. I clean the lint that I can see out often, but I know that lint must ALSO be getting into places that I CAN'T see. I used to take my Singer apart and clean it, too, but you can't do that with computerized machines. Good as they are, even though they are 'encased', computerized sewing machines are expensive investments, and just like automobiles, they should be cleaned and serviced by people who know what they are doing. The dealers are NOT making a fortune out of servicing sewing machines. The servicing charges are basically covering the labor and overhead costs. They want happy customers who will be REPEAT buyers of new sewing machines who also TELL THEIR FRIENDS what good dealers they are! That's what I am.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:14 PM

I have 2 different "providers" that tune-up my HV Designer 1 for $89.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by lfw045
Originally Posted by Quiltntime
I've had my Viking for 4 yrs., and it's never been cleaned.

Just wondering when the dealer advises it to be cleaned, what's in the process? It's all computerized, and sealed. So, as long as I blow out the lint with an air compressor once in awhile what else could a dealer do.

Guess, I'm being a devil's advocate, but my thinking is, why fix something that isn't broke! :twisted:

I have to agree with you there. My Mom's 1952 Singer has never been to a shop. My mother and with my Dad's assistance even replaced the belt when it broke. She always cleaned and oiled it herself. She sewed on it daily. It is still to this day being used by me. I just cleaned and oiled it a couple of months ago.

Canned air I would not use on either of my machines. These dealers are making a killing on these new machines suggesting they get yearly cleanings. Most of the new ones are encased and never have to be oiled......mine is and we bought it in 1978. Just delinting it should be good unless it jumps timing....in which case you would maybe have to take it in then.

I don't know.......each to his or her own.......

Each to his own I guess
I really have to disagree with both of you. I trust both my AZ and CT Pfaff/Viking dealers, and have them service my machines annually. I clean the lint that I can see out often, but I know that lint must ALSO be getting into places that I CAN'T see. I used to take my Singer apart and clean it, too, but you can't do that with computerized machines. Good as they are, even though they are 'encased', computerized sewing machines are expensive investments, and just like automobiles, they should be cleaned and serviced by people who know what they are doing. The dealers are NOT making a fortune out of servicing sewing machines. The servicing charges are basically covering the labor and overhead costs. They want happy customers who will be REPEAT buyers of new sewing machines who also TELL THEIR FRIENDS what good dealers they are! That's what I am.
Everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to such.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:58 PM

Locally, here in Spokane, the cost for cleaning, oiling and adjusting runs, on average $79.95, and they can keep it anywhere from a week to 6 weeks, depending on where you take it. My husband is a sewing machine technician who works out of two local shops and for himself as well. He charges $60 for the same service he provides to the shops and can get the machine back either same day or next day. It is a different story when the machine is broken or needs parts--he then has to order parts and wait for them to arrive. Independent sewing machine technicians might be a better value with less wait time if you can find one locally. I feel very blessed to have him around, because my machines are always running perfectly, and I can't beat the price!!! :D
Old 07-03-2009, 02:50 AM

Thanks for the info
Old 07-03-2009, 04:29 AM

I am fortunate from the looks of it. I take my old singer and my Elna to my LQS who has a repair/service man come in every two weeks and it's only $36 for a cleaning and adjustment.

Now if you need new belts or parts he won't do that until he talks to you on the phone because the parts needed are extra, but he sure does a great job of cleaning, adjustments if needed, and getting the machines ready for the next quilt.

I bought the Clotilde vaccum attachments to suck that lint out of the inside of my machine when I bought the Singer four years ago. I figured I was doing a good job of keeping it clean. When he opened that machine and looked at the belts, etc.............the lint filled a walmart bag. No wonder it went 'klunk' and froze! I will get mine machines cleaned at least twice a year from now on, I know fabrics and threads (even the best of them) have so much lint that it will eat up a machine's life!
Hugs,
Sharon
Old 07-03-2009, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by patsyo56721
I have a Baby lock and it is still under warranty. But my dealer is no longer a dealer and I will have to take it or sent it to Jacksonville, Fl or Charleston, SC. I live near Savannah, GA. If I take it to the local Sewing mechanic I will lose my warranty, so I am trying to keep it clean. If you have a computer rized one DO NOT USE ANY OIL on it and also keep magnets away.
Sue Hausmann of Viking & now Pfaff and my local Pff/Viking dealer BOTH say it's ok to use the magnet seam guide on a computerized machine.

Also, my 3 computerized Pfaffs CAME WITH sewing machine oil and instructions on the ONLY place to use it.
i know that low-magnetized gadgets are ok and they will tell you so on the packing, but where can i oil my viking? i never have.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:32 AM

i seem to very lucky. i have the viking #1, the janome 8000 (my workhorse), the janome gem (for the beach house - now for traveling because it's small) my new longarm,and a very old factory blindstitcher that i bought at a yard sale twenty years ago for $100. since i can't take in the blindstitcher because it's attached to the original table, my guy comes to the house when i have a problem with any of them and does a thorough cleaning, adjusting, etc on all of them at the same time, right in my house, in mysewing basement, and charges me $200 plus parts. i only call when something's broken. i clean them all myself and he has never said they need to be done professionally yearly even though four are computerized machines. if he retires, i'm following him.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:57 PM

Butterfly wing asked : i know that low-magnetized gadgets are ok and they will tell you so on the packing, but where can i oil my viking? i never have.[/quote]

If the owner's manual doesn't show you where to oil, you probably shouldn't! A LOT of machines don't need to be oiled by users. My Pfaffs may be exceptions. And the older non-computerized machines do need to be oiled - but those manuals usually show you where to do it.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:12 PM

And the older non-computerized machines do need to be oiled - but those manuals usually show you where to do it.
Not necessarily. My 20 year old, non-computerized Viking requires no oiling and warns against doing so.