Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Generations of quilting?? >

Generations of quilting??

Generations of quilting??

Old 11-24-2014, 09:34 AM

At least one great-grandmother quilted. Her daughter, my maternal grandmother did not like to sew or quilt. Cooking was her speciality.

My paternal grandmother did some quilting. I have a quilt she made from dress fabric scraps. It is machine quilted and tied.

My mother sewed and crochets but never quilted. She says she thought about it a lot but was overwhelmed with the patterns before rotary cutters...thos that say cut 1,000 of this template and 1,000 of that template.

I started quilting when I was about 30 years old...about the same time rotary cutters got very popular.

One of my dad's sisters has quilted for years. I know she was hand piecing and quilting in the 1970's. She is now in her mid-80's and still sews on the machine making quilts, eye glass cases and tote bags for charity.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:58 AM

The stories you all have are wonderful. I hope to inspire others to do some quilting before long, it's such a wonderful and creative activity that carries on the history of a family.

I have a few quilts my maternal great-grandmother made and some blocks that my paternal grandmother embroidered but that is all. My grandmother also died when my mother was barely a teen so there's nothing there. My mother preferred crocheting so she made many afghans, mostly for my brothers' families. She did make a couple of quilts for some of the grandchildren. Since I sewed, crocheted and did other handwork, she made only one or two items for me and my family. Other than that no other grandparents or step-grandparents or their families shared my interests in handwork. There must have been some in earlier generations but no record of their endeavors remain .... none that I know of anyway.

I do collect old quilts and unfinished projects from earlier times in hopes that their makers may sense that their work lives on, cherished and loved.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:13 AM

I grew up helping at quilting bees my grandmother held with my mother & lots of aunts sewing and babies playing under the quilt while it was in the frame. Some of the women would take a break and cook dinner and some of the men played musical instruments, so we had good food and entertainment as we sewed.
When we were old enough we threaded the needles for the ones who couldn't see very well. There were 18 children in my Grandmother's family so there was always a need for quilts.
My mother and sister and I had a few quilting bees at her house too. We passed on the sewing gene to some of the younger generation. I still have a set of my mother's quilting frames. I don't use them, my longarm Tin Lizzie is MUCH easier to use. Easier on the knees and back and soooo much faster! I miss the family get togethers though.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:04 PM

Well, I have firm evidence of my grandmother(father's mom) my mother, myself, my daughter and now my granddaughter are all quilters. I am quite sure that my great grandmother on my father's side would have had quilting and sewing in her skill set. My grandmother on my mother's side of the family was a seamstress as a profession before she married and moved to the farm and had a family. I never saw her making quilts but she did have a glorious collection of buttons. I recall my mother, #8 of 9 children, say that her mom was a really good seamstress but she was so old when I came along that I never saw her sewing.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

I had cousins who quilted, not sure if my great-grandmother did, but I seriously doubt my grandmother quilted. However, my Mom made utilitarian quilts, which were used and used up long before I came along, I'm the youngest of 7 kids; however, my Mom did teach me to sew, helping me make my own clothes until I could take Home Ec. in high school and learned to read a pattern - my Mom made her own patterns. Unfortunately, none of my Mom's quilts survived 7 rambunctious kids, although I have fond memories of sleeping under them to keep warm in the winter. I doubt my daughter will quilt, although she did make a patchwork quilt of squares of some of my stash, as well as pieces of the clothes I had made her when she went off to college. So, I make quilts for our bi-annual family reunions where my family sends fabric in my color choice and I make quilts to be raffled off - it has become the highlight of a lot of reunions; so I am passing on my quilting legacy - now if only I could win one of those quilts that I've made, I'd be a happy camper.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:49 PM

My Mother born in 1919 sewed clothing, started one quilt and I found 10 blocks that she completed after she died. Did not have any idea that she had even started one. Her mother died when she was 8 and did not quilt as far as I know. My Mother crocheted and knitted like a demon, though!
I had made all my clothes for years through high school, but never took any sort of Home Ec and was only interested due to the practical reason, I could have more clothes by making them as my money went further.
My Dad's mother born in 1891 and made 1 quilt as far as I know (which I have), but she did not like sewing or mending though she was a farmer's wife with a bunch of kids. She may have crocheted. So when I started at the age of 42, it was after seeing some quilt at the Bishop Museum in Hawaii including the Queen's Crazy Quilt. (Which is fabulous!).
Old 11-24-2014, 04:44 PM

I know that both of my grand mothers quilted since I have or had some of there quilts. My great grandmother on my mom's side was also a quilter. I am sure that quilting and sewing go further back in the family history since my fathers mother grew up in a soddy in South Dakota and my mothers family were originally from New York State. My mother was not a quilter but loved to sew and collect fabric. She taught me to sew then I taught myself quilting from looking at grandma's quilts.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

I know quilting goes back before my maternal and actually paternal great grandmother. I've seen and inquired about them in older photos. My grandmothers both came from families who were self sufficient. Many said they were poor but they never had hungry children and clothing that could no longer be handed down was used to make other garments or quilts. Both sides also had needle workers; such as crochet, knit and tatting. I know my one paternal grandmother worked in a garment factory. I am so very thankful that I was able to spend so much time with them.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:28 PM

I'm lucky to come from quilters and handiworkers on both sides. I have a cedar chest (lined!) full of my grandmother's and her mother's and sisters tating, embroidery and other work--and I have a matching 1" hexie grandmother's flower garden bed and baby quilts she did in the 1930's by kerosene light while sick with "German measles". I also have an embroidery lilac blocks quilt that my great aunts finished up after her death. I kept my Mom's wonderful batik Chinese coins quilt she made specifically for the table I inherited and let my sister have the other one done recently before her death. She made all our clothes--we didn't figure out how lucky we were until we reached adulthood. My daughter is learning to quilt (although being a young working professional limits her time) and I hope if my son moves closer, I can get him hooked on long arm quilting! On my Dad's side there are several WELL worn quilts passed down from my great and grandmother. I was one of 2 grandchildren that did not get a quilt from my grandmother before she died, so my Dad made sure I got the incredibly heavy wool crazy quilt! I wish I could get my DIL interested in doing some type of handwork--I think it would really help her emotionally and give her something that is her own in a household of little boys, but she does not have that background and isn't showing an interest. I keep the door open, but she may not decide to go through it. But my daughter, sis and I carry on the tradition of going to a quilt retreat together even though my mom has passed. Hopefully some day we'll include another generation!
Old 11-25-2014, 03:50 AM

I enjoyed reading your story about your family. Sometimes I wish we could go back to those peaceful times. Thanks, Joanne