Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gentlemen, would you tell us what you think  developed your interest in sewing? >

Gentlemen, would you tell us what you think developed your interest in sewing?

Gentlemen, would you tell us what you think developed your interest in sewing?

Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Nice story, Michael, but you really look too young for 8-tracks!!
I agree!!! Great stories guys!!!! I remember when I was in gradeschool they still had HomeEc and Shop; I don't ever remember a guy wanting to be in HomeEc but the girls certainly wanted to be in Shop. My cousin who lived on a dairy farm learned how to sew thru his 4H group.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:50 AM

OK, I am new here, but I had to write a quick reply on this. I teach a quilt class at my senior center. My hubby(73)helps me bring in my sewing stuff. Well one of the ladies told him when he commented on one of her mistakes told him do you think you can do better. Well needless to say he came home and told me he wanted a pattern and material to prove to her he could. Well his first quilt he made they raffled it off at the center and got alot of money. Well 12 quilts later in 2 years he is still making quilts. Its so nice now we both share a hobby after 45 years of marriage.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:13 AM

I've never taught a guy to quilt. But I will say my son is more impressed with my quilts than my daughter. He is always thrilled to get a new quilt from me!
Old 04-15-2010, 10:39 AM

When I voiced a desire to quilt an 80 year old man heard me. He had been a cabinet maker and said that he too had always wanted to try quilting. We asked to use the church basement for a class and he researched and began teaching about six of us ladies. He went on to teach many of the ladies in our small town and turned out many beautiful quilts himself. I had only been at it a short time when my grandson wanted to join me. He was only 7 at the time, but pieced a couple of tops, I could never get him to put them into a quilt though. I still have them and they are cherished.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:12 AM

My 8 year old grandson says he likes to come to Nana's quilt shop to get his fabric. Hi is maing a scrappy one. His Nana shop is my stash. Hi loves to sew. He won't let his mom t ouch his machine t hat Old papa gave him. I guess his mom and I both sit with him and sew. It makes a nice bonding time.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:33 PM

Wonderful stories!! I can't wait to hear more.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Banned

There is nothing boring about these stories, they are all great. thank you for sharing them. Penny
Old 04-15-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
I lived with my grandmother for several years. She taught me to sew by mending my play clothes. You know sew buttons and such. She said I should learn this so I could take care of myself. She also taught me to knit and crochet. I would have rather been playing ball outside!!! LOL We made a quilt together and I have beeen sewing and quilting ever since about 6 years old. I am now 63. I have her old treadle singer and all her sewing stuff, including some unusual pin cushions. I use all of it still today. I piece with the singer and quilt by hand. I am retired army officer and made all my wife's formal dresses for all the balls we attended. When I get a new digital camera I will post pictures. Glenn from Huntsville :lol:
I have enjoyed all the stories. I was really amazed when I read you made your wife's formal dresses. I am a former bridal seamstress and i know how much work goes into a formal dress. I think that in this day and age of two parent working families, that there is no such thing as "womens work" or mens work for that matter. My husband is the cook here because he gets off work before I do and because he like to cook. I think it is great to have the knowledge to care for your self and your family no mater if you are male or female.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:06 PM

I started teaching my grand daughter to quilt when she was two years old. She has made several quilts and is now 9 years so she is sewing on her own.
When my Grandson (her cousin) saw how much fun and attention she was getting he asked if he could make a quilt. I was so excited that he was interested that I of course said yes and we designed his Buzz Light Year quilt together. We then went to JoAnns and I let him pick out the fabric. It was great, now 2 years later he wants to make another quilt. We are in the process of planning his second quilt. When his brother is old enough I hope he also will want to quilt.
I plan on encouraging all to continue. I love every minute of it.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:07 PM

If my husband took up quilting he would end up doing it better than me, so I'll leave him to his computer and not suggest it!