Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting a new iron? >

Getting a new iron?

Getting a new iron?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:08 PM

Yes quiltngal, I have the Oliso. I LOVE IT!!!!! You don't have to worry about it falling over. It doesn't leak. Large reservoir for water.

Go to www.oliso.com and look at it.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:31 PM

I had two Rowentas, and they both quit very early. I bought a Shark about five years ago. It has the best steam of any iron I've ever owned. Found another at Bed, Bath and Beyond locally, and now have one up and one downstairs. They retail for about $50-$60, but are worth it if you want a good iron. And BB&Y always have coupons.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Now I have a question -

My son had a Black and Decker Digital Advantage D2020 stashed away that he says I can borrow.

Question: Directions say:

"Note: Use ordinary tap water for ironing. Do not use water processed through a home softening system."

So what should I use then? I've been using bottled spring water for the Rowenta that just fizzled and smelled funny this morning.

And why not use softened water?
Old 10-12-2009, 10:22 AM

Rowenta! is the brand i have and i really like it
Old 10-12-2009, 10:22 AM

I don't know about water softeners now, but when I was a kid we had a well. Mom used to put salt in the water softener. So I would guess that salt in the iron wouldn't be a good thing :D
Old 10-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

Salt water heats to a higher temp then water or makes the water hotter or conducts heat too fast or something like that. Just don't use salt water in an iron.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:41 AM

I use cold tap water. The drinking water usually not soft. I don't know why they don't want you using soft water. Maybe the salt they use to soften the water. This iron is the best though. I also have a rowenta and don't like.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Now I have a question -

My son had a Black and Decker Digital Advantage D2020 stashed away that he says I can borrow.

Question: Directions say:

"Note: Use ordinary tap water for ironing. Do not use water processed through a home softening system."

So what should I use then? I've been using bottled spring water for the Rowenta that just fizzled and smelled funny this morning.

And why not use softened water?
If you don't want to use just tap water, and want to use bottled water, get the one that just says drinking water. You can buy it in 1 gallon jugs and they are cheap. If it just says to use regular tap water, then don't use distilled water. Bad for iron.
Mine uses regular tap water. Soooo much easier than worrying about bottled water.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
When I was in charge of buying a new iron for the guild I did a little research and found the best rated mid priced iron was the Black and Decker Digital Advantage. I found it on Amazon for a reasonable price. It's the most used iron the guild has. Everybody loves that one the most.
I was going to suggest the same iron. It's the best I've ever owned, and I say this after going through a few expensive Rowentas. The digital advantage is drip free and an all around excellent iron. If you want to spend a lot of money, I'd check out www.allbrands.com for a professional iron.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:36 PM

I have a T-Fal. That is also what they use at LQS.