Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
gift for a hand quilter >

gift for a hand quilter

gift for a hand quilter

Old 11-06-2018, 07:57 AM

Default gift for a hand quilter

My daughter has a quilting friend that she wants to give a gift to. She's thinking in the $100 range. This person is very minimalist and only hand quilts. Any suggestions?
Old 11-06-2018, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

Hi Carol, I'm stumped on this one. Hand quilting is very inexpensive. I hand quilted for years before I decided to try my hand at FMQ (still working on it haha!)
The thing about hand quilting is that everyone has their own way regarding thimbles, hoops, threads, etc. That's why I'm stumped.
Hope someone else has some ideas for you
Old 11-06-2018, 08:12 AM

Thanks SusieQOH, Can you think of a less expensive gift that a hand quilter might appreciate?
Old 11-06-2018, 08:38 AM

What about a really nice book on the subject - the type with lots of big glossy pictures to drool over!
Old 11-06-2018, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England View Post
What about a really nice book on the subject - the type with lots of big glossy pictures to drool over!
Can somebody recommend such a book for an accomplished hand quilter?
Old 11-06-2018, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

No suggestions really ....... but I do endorse the hesitancy towards buying her things, as we all have our favourites, or that we want to personally choose any additions to our supplies.

I'm not a fan of giving gift cards, but sometimes they are more appropriate, in that in a case like this, it can be given, with a personal note as to the reason for the gift, and why the giver is leaving the selection up to the recipient.

However, gift cards can backfire ..... I was given one last Christmas and have not spent it yet.
It was for an online store that both of us had purchased from in the past with good response.
Meanwhile they have changed their shipping polices (from free to full charge), a discouraging factor!
Plus, every time I try to find a fabric I want to order, they don't have it.

Makes me even more hesitant on giving gift cards.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:00 AM
DJ

A gift certificate to a nice quilt shop might be nice.

How about a certificate for the two of them to have lunch out and then trip to quilt shop?

Does she have a favorite quilt block? I Googled quilt jewelry and there are some very nice and inexpensive options.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:06 AM

When you say hand quilter, are you referring to piecing and applique as well as quilting or just the quilting? If it is piecing too, then what type of piecing, if EPP, there are so many patterns and papers available. If she does hand applique then again what type, cotton wool etc.

I do some EPP but do not hand quilt. I bought a packet of needles in Paris in May and although they were expensive, there by far out stitch any that I have bought at home. If someone wanted to purchase a gift certificate to this store for me, I would be over the moon with joy. https://sajou.fr/en/
Old 11-06-2018, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carol45 View Post
Can somebody recommend such a book for an accomplished hand quilter?
The Essential Quilter!! https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Qui.../dp/0715305697

I would suggest a gift certificate but as SusieQOH said, when it comes to hand quilting we are all very particular about technique, needles, thimbles, etc. So she could very well buy a GC for a shop that doesn't carry anything her friend likes or uses. I know most of my hand quilting supplies I picked up at shows and very few shops carried what I found works best for me. My needles of choice are Roxanne Betweens size 11 and my hand quilting thread of choice is Valdani. If your daughter knows more about her likes and dislikes she could put together a lovely basket to include her favorite needles, threads, some marking tools, etc. but without knowing for sure it is hard to say.

An extravagant gift could be a TJ Lane Thimble but a single thimble from them is $100. And you need to size them like a ring. They are gorgeous and in addition to being functional they are pretty enough to wear as jewelry. https://www.thimbles2fit.com/ Again that is probably best purchased by the quilter due to the sizing and what style thimble she likes best and there are loads of hand quilters that don't even use a thimble. In fact I am a non thimble quilter, I would use my fingernail to push the loaded needle through, eventually drilling a hole into my fingernail. I discovered these thimbles and it is the only kind I can use but I can't wear it all the time and I only slipped it on to push the loaded needle, then I would take it off to load another needle full of stitches. That said, I loved these thimbles so much I have two. But my first one I bought back when a single thimble ran around $60.

One other option is always fabric, a pretty selection of fat quarters. Or maybe a Wool kit with an assortment of 8 weight or 12 weight pearl cotton threads to complete it (again my favorite are Valdani). I really enjoy these and while it isn't quilting, many people who enjoy hand work like them.

Here are some suggestions
https://www.the-quilt-rack.com/shop/KITS/Wool-Kits.htm
https://www.woolylady.com/wool-applique.html Wooly lady sells accompanying thread kits to go with her kits and many of her designs are more modern and bright.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

I enjoy hand quilting and I find that it is not always about the stitching. I would love to get a package of hot chocolate, and a mug or some candies. I also like to watch television while I work. Maybe a couple of movies that she would like to see. If your daughter knows this person quite well, she could get together a wonderful gift pack.

Or as DJ said a card to go out to lunch someplace.