Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gift help for quilter >

Gift help for quilter

Gift help for quilter

Old 12-14-2018, 07:27 AM

Looking beyond a new sewing machine. You mentioned she has a lot of fabric. Does she have a wonderful method of storing her fabric? The best gift I gave myself was hiring a company to come in and build cupboards specifically for storing my fabric and quilting paraphernalia. I also had them build me a cutting table to the proper height for me with drawers below. The new setup made such a difference in the sewing room - it was an absolute joy to go in there and sew!
Old 12-14-2018, 08:05 AM

Close dealer support with free lessons on the new machine. That should narrow the list!
Old 12-14-2018, 09:30 AM

OMG!! will you adopt me ha ha ha

I too think you should find a close dealer to them. For lessons, service and just plain moral support if needed.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:03 AM

That is a wonderful gift but, I know if my husband when out an purchased a machine for me, I would be furious. A quilter that has been quilting for a while, knows what they want and it's very specific. Let her choose the machine and the investment. Perhaps give her a trip to Houston Quilt show or some other large show so she can shop all the vendors and try out the machines. Even if money isn't an object, you don't want to give something you think she may want only to have it not be anything that she would ever want. For example, my husband thought for a long time that I wanted a long arm. Nope, I don't make bed size quilts, I don't want a long arm ever. But a sit down long arm or mid size dedicated quilter, yes please.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:09 AM

Many years ago, I picked out a specific sewing machine that my husband was going to buy for me. The reason for this particular machine was it had many quilter friendly options that my simple present at that time machine didn't. I explained this to him and he still bought something else because it was a better price on e-Bay. It was very difficult to even fake being appreciative. Didn't want to hurt his feelings but I hated this machine. He still says that what he chose was the exact same thing. It was nothing but trouble for more than a decade. Best to let her pick out exactly what she thinks she wants. Maybe after trying out other machines, she might even decide on something else. It is a very personal decision.