Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gift help for quilter >

Gift help for quilter

Gift help for quilter

Old 12-13-2018, 05:37 AM

Default Gift help for quilter

Hello,
I have a family member that is really into quilting for a long time now and we wanted to get her fully setup for quilting given a 6k value limit. So the question is given 6k or less what would be the best investment for a quilting setup. We do not have to spend the entire 6k we just want the best investment.

Some info I know
  • She make blankets, runners, and banners, I am sure she makes more things but I don't know past that
  • She has a sewing machine but it is a standard singer style machine, this is primarily what we want to upgrade
  • She has a 10x7 ish area that she does all her quilting in so that is roughly her side limit
  • She has tons of material
  • She has a bunch of things like rulers and side tools so this is probably not really the focus here
As a note :She saw this and http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/en-US/Machines/EPIC-980Q and was talking about how cool it was, this is where the 6k value came from but before spending 6k on this we wanted to get some advice if there was a better way to spend that money.

Any advice is much appreciated!
Old 12-13-2018, 06:22 AM

First what a most kind and generous gift that you are offering! Quilting is such a personal and rather artistic hobby and there is no one size fits all approach. I think the best thing would be to let her know what you want to do for her, let her know her budget and then take her shopping. She is a very lucky lady and don’t forget to let her know about this site so she can share her work with us.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I agree with tallchick. Exactly my thoughts. How generous of you!!
Old 12-13-2018, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Tallchick. A new sewing machine that has loads of features is much like buying a car, you need to test drive several and see which one has the features you like best. Additionally I can't emphasize enough the need of good dealer support when purchasing a high end sewing machine. Most dealers will include, free of charge, classes to instruct new buyers how to get the most out of their machine. I would also encourage you to search reviews posted on line for any machines you are considering. There are many forums and places on the internet where people post reviews and comments about particular brands and models.
This is a fabulously generous and thoughtful gift idea but it would be much better for you or another family member to give her options and take her shopping. IMHO with a $6K price tag there are many, many machines out there that may have better options for a quilter. Personally I would be looking at Bernina but I am biased.

Edited to add, if she is sewing on a vintage Singer she may be completely content with that machine and want something with a larger throat for quilting, like a sit down midarm. Or if she is mostly interested in the embroidery features there are loads of models that do exquisite embroidery in that price range.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 12-13-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the advice, I think we will be trying to setup something with her to be able to go and choose what she wants.

I don't see any sort of upvote system but feline fanatic thanks you had particularly good information.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:46 AM

Feline is always a wealth of information for all of us!

This is a fantastic thing that you are doing and I agree with the rest that she needs to be involved with it.

Also, have her have a look at mid arms. She may not even know they exist, but they are basically sewing machines made specifically for quilting on with a much bigger area than a domestic machine. If she is happy piecing (putting the quilt top together) on her current model but would like a bigger area to quilt in, that might be the way to go. If she already has a lot of rulers for a domestic, they may not work on a mid arm.

There also websites that will rate sewing machines and give you a break down of features, as well, if she's happy with a new domestic machine.

Watson
Old 12-13-2018, 12:26 PM

I agree with the group. If you want her to have something to unwrap on Christmas you could get her a fat quarter bundle and tuck a note inside about the upgrade. Happy giving!
Old 12-13-2018, 12:38 PM

She might also want a Babylock Sashiko machine for quilting her smaller items with a hand quilted look. So many options for her! Kudos to you for finding us and asking advice. You won't go wrong here. Welcome, and have a blessed Christmas!
Old 12-13-2018, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
She might also want a Babylock Sashiko machine for quilting her smaller items with a hand quilted look. So many options for her! Kudos to you for finding us and asking advice. You won't go wrong here. Welcome, and have a blessed Christmas!
As far as the Epic if it's the Viking your talking abt it's way o/6000...Now the Sashiko Babylock I have and is only 1800 and a wonderful machine. Everyone thinks I hand quilted...No other machine like it. I agree w/everyone I'd want to pick out my own machine and test drive and see what perks I needed...
Old 12-13-2018, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
First what a most kind and generous gift that you are offering! Quilting is such a personal and rather artistic hobby and there is no one size fits all approach. I think the best thing would be to let her know what you want to do for her, let her know her budget and then take her shopping. She is a very lucky lady and don’t forget to let her know about this site so she can share her work with us.
I agree whole-heartedly. I realize that you want to help her, but please include her in the decisions!!
A few years ago, I upgraded to a computerized Viking that didn't do well. The feed dogs died and no repair people would agree to even look at it. They said the repairs would cost more than the machine was worth. I replaced it with a mechanical Singer Heavy Duty from Walmart for $100 and love it!!! It may be the Singer model she is using and really likes it.