Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gifts from quilters to other quilters >

Gifts from quilters to other quilters

Gifts from quilters to other quilters

Old 10-20-2011, 08:48 AM

I share fabrics with my quilting friends. Just come over and if you see any you can use take it!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:54 AM

I have given many things to my quilter friends, more along the line of things I know they would either not make for themselves or just really fun crafty holiday things... And yes I did give a personal quilt to my best friend, it was a difficult pattern, that I struggled with, and was very proud of the out come...so I sent it to her and said when you see this "Think of me"....I think of that often. Giving a quilt to anyone is a very deep personal gesture, I am currently working on a "BUCKET LIST" to make a personal quilt for every member of my family before I die. Finished 4 this year, a complete family done....now have to move on. We put so much of our selves into a quilt, I personally can not think of a better gift. I always do a very personal label on the quilt.....
Old 10-20-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by mrsmail
I think that we are somewhat afraid that we will give something quilted to the quilt police. Several of my friends havve made bow tucks purses. I want one so bad.......have tried making them twice and they were disasters, yet when I say something to my friends, they assure me I can make one. They saw the lousy job I did on the last 2--didn't even try using them--they were that bad.
I keep thinking maybe they will take mercy on me, but so far, not yet.
Perhaps if you asked for help from them, they would show you how they did theres....Ask.....no harm there
Old 10-20-2011, 08:59 AM

Actually I have both given and received quilts from friends. I cherish all of those given to me as many of the friends who gave them to me are now in quilter's heaven. They now hang or have hung at some point during the year in my sewing room and/or my entry and each time I look at them I am reminded of so many wonderful memories. Last year I gave 6 of my friends small angel quilts from fatcatpatterns. I let them all know they are angels to me now and forever. Giving and getting quilty things from quilt friends is wonderful but giving or receiving something they've made is so much better.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:08 AM

Maybe it's worth saying that a quilter would love anything made for them regardless of the giver's skill and experience, if that's what might be holding you back.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:14 AM

I've received wallhangings, pincushions, humbag bag, and fabric from my friend. I've given her wallhangings, penny rugs and hand crocheted pillowcases.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:47 AM

My quilting friend in WY and I have exchanged quilted items.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 AM

I'm always giving things to friends I have made and rarely get any thing
back let alone a quilt!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:59 AM

I have received quilting related gifts from friends who are also quilters. But never a quilt,which is ok with me. Since I also knit,crochet and embroider, I told my sils to not give me any more afgans at Christmas or my birthday. While I appreciated the ones I had already received, I thought it was a little redundant. Oh yes, I still have the ones given and I do use them. I give quilts as gifts only if asked.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:20 PM

If I get a quilting gift it is usually a book or a tool rather than a product itself.