Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Give Me the Dumbest Quilter Award

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Give Me the Dumbest Quilter Award

FMQ is not my thing, but I keep trying. Some days I seem to be getting better. Not today. Today I'm trying to FMQ a string quilt. Everything is going wrong. I rethread everything. I change tension. I generally futz around. Finally, things seem a bit better. I actually do 3 blocks that don't look too bad. Somehow I break a needle. It gets stuck in the machine. After several minutes, I get everything out and reattach the foot. I decide I need a break. As I set here on the computer, I look at my machine and what do I see?!?!?

I have been attempting FMQ with a straight stitch foot! Good grief. Maybe I need a longer break.

OMG That sounds just like me!! I have days like that. LOL

Sounds like one of those moments we all have. I was fussing because the thread kept getting tight and gathering the fabric when I was piecing. Turns out the quilt would bump against the thread cone in the stand next to the machine and the thread could not come off easily. I did the frog stitch (rip-it) and restarted my FMQ.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    a string quilt probably has alot of seams maybe try something that does not have too many seams and see how that goes. You might be surprised

Oh my ...that is funny to read. Not for you I am sure...! Really sounds like something I would do!!!!

Hang in there!!! Take a little break and regroup!!!!

I've done that too! One time I did the reverse, had my quilting foot on trying to sew straight stitching! It was going all over the place! That was a mess!

As Alexander in our little story book in first grade said, "Yes, my mom says some days are like that. Yes they are!" Don't give up. Change your "scenery" for a while and then go back another time.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Try ironing a Frixion pen. Three times....

Well the good news is that there is nothing wrong with your machine or the way you do FMQ.....just need to use the right attachments and I know for a fact that you will never make that mistake again....I speak from experience!

i see hands up all over for that award-- i am doing a d9p--oi just put the center square at the top cause it looked good
    now it looks good but later!!!!!!!!

My husband suggested I keep a little note book and write my mistakes in it and how to do thing correctly so if I have a similar problem in the future I can look and see what I did wrong or right the last time. He's such a helpful guy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
    My husband suggested I keep a little note book and write my mistakes in it and how to do thing correctly so if I have a similar problem in the future I can look and see what I did wrong or right the last time. He's such a helpful guy!
    Tell him thanks, great idea and how big of a notebook does he want for his workshop/garage,etc.?

I think we've all done equally dumb things so you'd probably have to share the award.

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who forgets to change feet when moving from one task to another!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

if you got that award I guess i am up the the dumber than mud award.last night I was sewing on the last qillow for my kids and it started to have problems and then snagged up real good. well after that thought it best to walk away and go to bed cause after changing the bobbin i forgot to put the bobbin cover plate back on. what a mess to unsnag all that thread and not being able to get the bobbin out or the quillow off.. I finally got it but believe me folks you don't want to try that one.I'm glad your problem was not your machine just a oversight.

You can't have that award, it already belongs to me. I have made many mistakes doing FMQ on my Featherweight. But like you, I am going to keep trying. Don't give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    FMQ is not my thing, but I keep trying. Some days I seem to be getting better. Not today. Today I'm trying to FMQ a string quilt. Everything is going wrong. I rethread everything. I change tension. I generally futz around. Finally, things seem a bit better. I actually do 3 blocks that don't look too bad. Somehow I break a needle. It gets stuck in the machine. After several minutes, I get everything out and reattach the foot. I decide I need a break. As I set here on the computer, I look at my machine and what do I see?!?!?

I have been attempting FMQ with a straight stitch foot! Good grief. Maybe I need a longer break.

You are not alone!!

My friend once fmq a whole quilt - with the presser foot down - it was amazing how well it turned out!
    So much quilting, so little time!

If you stick a cotton ball or a wad of batting size of cotton ball in the loop of your cone thread holder the thread will not loop out

My Momma said there would be days like this, but didn't say how many or how often. I have way to many myself, so you will have to share that award. LOL

It sounds like you would have competition for the Award that you mention. Hang in there. I know you can master the FMQ. When you do, give us hints as to how you did master it.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Did something similar last night. Trying to QAYG and was using a small satin stitch. Broke 2 needles and jammed my machine twice. Took a break and sat back down at my machine and a light bulb went off. - - Still had my quarter foot attachment on.
    Love to quilt

Gloria C

You just made me feel a lot better knowing I am in great company for the Dumbest Quilter's Award.

Heavens, that doesn't make you an applicant for the dumbest quilter award... CONTINUING with the straight stitch foot - that would!

We all go through this. Had major problems with my HQ16 one day; same quilt as day before and I swore up and down that nothing had changed. Finally walked away from it because I was disgusted with, well, everything.

Next day, I went over everything before I started quilting and very quickly discovered the problem. The previous day I had to re-thread the machine, and I did it wrong. Once correctly threaded, it worked like a charm.

Thus is life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast