Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
?giving your top to professional quilter?? >

?giving your top to professional quilter??

?giving your top to professional quilter??

Old 07-04-2010, 06:26 PM

I am a longarm quilter and I had no idea that a longarm quilter would share a label with the quilter. I get quilts in all the time and just do the quilting and out it goes. I have nothing to do with the quilt except do a job that I am payed for.

I feel that the quilter's work is all that should be recognised.

I see now that some LAQ are using the Statler Stitcher to do all sorts of fancy stitching with the computer generated images etc. and that is a preference, of course.

Let me add, that at the quilt shows I have gone to, I have heard ladies ask....who did the beautiful quilting and toally ignore the peicework of the quilter...see there? And of course, there were the quilts that you just saw the piece work...

I love to put quilts together. But I have rules ahhahahah...I tell my customers, in fact I have a written memo of what I do. I only freehand, no exception, no specials, nada...they all love my price anyway....
I sure wouldn't want all that fancy stitching to override all my work. If you notice my quilts, you will not see the quilting ..you only see my piece work.

That is because I use a thread very close in value to the fabrics and the quilting is free hand, nothing fancy..the fancy is in my piece work. The quilting I do, enhances the work on the quilt, not take away from it.

In art, one of the rules is....two bodies cannot occupy one space at the same time...If the quilt is pieced beautifully and the quilting is just as beautiful....one of them will shine through and most of the time it's the quilting, not the piece work...So think about the quilting, after you have done all that work and think about what you want to see first lol.....
Old 07-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
I am a longarm quilter and I had no idea that a longarm quilter would share a label with the quilter. I get quilts in all the time and just do the quilting and out it goes. I have nothing to do with the quilt except do a job that I am payed for.

I feel that the quilter's work is all that should be recognised.

I see now that some LAQ are using the Statler Stitcher to do all sorts of fancy stitching with the computer generated images etc. and that is a preference, of course.

Let me add, that at the quilt shows I have gone to, I have heard ladies ask....who did the beautiful quilting and toally ignore the peicework of the quilter...see there? And of course, there were the quilts that you just saw the piece work...

I love to put quilts together. But I have rules ahhahahah...I tell my customers, in fact I have a written memo of what I do. I only freehand, no exception, no specials, nada...they all love my price anyway....
I sure wouldn't want all that fancy stitching to override all my work. If you notice my quilts, you will not see the quilting ..you only see my piece work.

That is because I use a thread very close in value to the fabrics and the quilting is free hand, nothing fancy..the fancy is in my piece work. The quilting I do, enhances the work on the quilt, not take away from it.

In art, one of the rules is....two bodies cannot occupy one space at the same time...If the quilt is pieced beautifully and the quilting is just as beautiful....one of them will shine through and most of the time it's the quilting, not the piece work...So think about the quilting, after you have done all that work and think about what you want to see first lol.....
Rosy, thanks for the great post. I'm trying to get up the courage to machine quilt and appreciate what you said. Never thought of it that way :)
I have sent quilts out and hand quilt the ones that I give to my family. But that may be changing............... :D I have too many ideas compared to hand-quilting time lol
Old 07-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Google Goddess

Quilting Bee definition for you on this link

http://www.womenfolk.com/quilting_history/quilting.htm

Originally Posted by granny_59
Sorry, what is a quilting bee?

Even if you dont HAVE to give credit to a longarm quilter on your label, I would never do such a thing. But not without the feeling, that it is all my quilt anymore.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Power Poster

I send out all utility quilts to be quilted with simple quilting designs. The quilts I put a lot of time into I quilt them myself. It may be simple quilting but it's my quilting.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:45 PM

I agree with you! I can't send mine out either! Cant get past the fact that they aren't mine. Like I stopped in the middle of the project and had someone finish it! It is a personal thing and I think I would stop quilting altogether if I didn't do mine. The long armers do a beautiful job and it really compliments the quilt and a beautiful finished quilt is the end result. Perhaps in time I will see things diffrent.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:02 AM

A quilting bee is when a group of women (and sometimes men nowadays) get together, put a quilt sandwich in a large frame and they all sit around the frame hand quilting the quilt. Used to be a way for women to get together and help someone finish a quilt, they the women would get together again and work on someone else's quilt. It's not done much nowadays, although some people have kept the practice of quilting bees alive. I have never been part of one, but I am sure they are fun. Someon on this board must have been to a quilting bee or two, I'll bet.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:46 AM

I too like to do my quilts from start to finish and I do that. But if I were someone who had created a fabulous quilt top and knew that I would pretty much ruin it by quilting it myself, I wouldn't hesitate to take it to a professional quilter, someone whose work I was familiar with, though.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Banned

All my quilts are done by LAQs. I don't add their names on labels; I do, however, credit them in my Quilt Registry books.

When any of my quilting groups like the quilting I give them names and contact info. All the people I make quilts for know I don't quilt them myself
Like other responders here, I don't want anyone else's name on my quilts
Old 07-05-2010, 09:58 AM

I agree with Rosy. Too much quilting and that's all you see. People ohh and ahh over the quilting that someone else did--so heavily quilted and artistically done because it is programmed with the Shirley Stitcher or Statler. I have friends who pay over $300 to have that done. I tell them I don't have a computer on my machine and my work is not perfect like computer work so if you want that don't come here. I recently went to a show and more than half of the quilts were machine quilted by one particular quilter--and the quilting over took the quilt in most cases. Quilting is supposed to be fun. But then there ae so many who just want to piece a top and not quilt it. Go with the flow...
Old 07-05-2010, 10:09 AM

I've sent many of my quilts to a longarmer. She does a fantastic job. She doesn't use the computer program, she has pantographs. The only reason I am trying to learn to quilt my own is simply because I put enough money into the fabric and thread, I simply can't afford to longarm them all.
I do, however, recognize the longarmer's name on my labels. I put that it was pieced by me and quilted by my quilter. She did a good deal of work on my quilt, she deserves to be acknowledged. I don't feel it makes my quilt any less mine though. :)