Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gloves for protection >

Gloves for protection

Gloves for protection

Old 08-27-2013, 12:47 AM

Thanks for your replies. It's probably 50/50 for and against. The slidelock looks interesting. I haven't seen them in the UK. Haven't had any accidental cuts (yet) so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

I don't use cutting gloves. I make sure my fingers are back from the edge where I'm going to cut. I do use gloves for FMQ. They make it much easier to move the fabric. Fabric is drying to my hands and they can slip.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Thanks for sharing this; it sounds wonderful! I watched the video but didn't notice any mention of holding more than two layers, at once. Have you used it, to hold a twice-folded width?
The Slide Lock holds the ruler in place so you cut as many layers as you normally would with whatever ruler you are using.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
The Slide Lock holds the ruler in place so you cut as many layers as you normally would with whatever ruler you are using.
That's what I was hoping you'd say. Thanks! Now I just have to decide whether to get just the longer one . . . or both.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:27 AM

In your bathroom do you have a scrub loves. Try those or my friend uses lady gardening gloves and another friend uses the white grooming gloves for horses. Me if I have problems use the nonslip stuff you can Put in a car to stop sliding.
Personally I don't like my hands covered and getting hot. I did wonder if those rubber finger tips you see in banks work.
Sorry you have to find your best way.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 AM

No gloves for me. I don't wear them for FMQ either. Nor do I use them for gardening and my hands usually look awful in the spring. I probably should, but I hate the feel of gloves on my hands. I need to feel what I am working on, whether it's in fabric or in the dirt! The only thing I put them on for is scrubbing the toilet.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:15 AM

I have to admit I do wear leather gloves, if I'm working with wood (splinters) or working in the yard (ants, thorns, etc).
Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Thanks for sharing this; it sounds wonderful! I watched the video but didn't notice any mention of holding more than two layers, at once. Have you used it, to hold a twice-folded width?
I use a Quilter's Slidelock, too. Love it! I think constantly putting a glove on and off would make me batty(ier!) And yes, you can use the Quilter's Slidelock with a double fold of fabric.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:42 AM

I wear my Klutz glove on my left hand religiously. Better safe than sorry! It is a little bit in the way at times but I'd rather have it on than cut myself. My mom got a really bad cut with a rotary cutter once and it wasn't pretty.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kehoeta View Post
I wear a glove. its not called a klutz glove for nothing.. As I found out the hard way.
Me to I wear one the very first time I held one in my hand first cut I zip right over to my left index finger...not a pretty sight I waseu't quilting then just making fleese scarvs and didn't use it for a long time after that