Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gloves for protection >

Gloves for protection

Gloves for protection

Old 08-28-2013, 04:00 AM

I don't use the Klutz gloves, but having broken both my wrists earlier in life, I buy the fingerless therapeutic quilter's gloves from Jo-Ann's or Nancy's Notions and I really like them although ordinarily I am not a glove person either. I particularly like them in the Winter to help with the arthritis that's set in!
Old 08-28-2013, 04:09 AM

I don't personally like the klutz glove but if I did want a glove I would look at cut resistant fisherman"s gloves. They're significantly less expensive. The klutz glove is more than $25 for one glove on the F&P website and I've seen fisherman's gloves for less than $10 a pair. Just my opinion. I do sometimes wear gloves for FMQ if I'm struggling with a really big quilt.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 AM

No I don't, and I've also had four stitches in my thumb. But the glove seems clunky to me, so now I'm just more careful.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
To each their own. Personally, the only blood I've drawn in decades of playing with sewing toys has been from pins. Paying attention makes a world of difference...just ask my ex who once walked right straight off the edge of a roof he was shingling.
That made me giggle this morning........don't use gloves to cut, I agree on F&P the gloves looks so clumsy I would hurt myself using it....and yes ONCE I did slice a thin piece of my finger.....keyword being ONCE....learned my lesson....watch where fingers are...
Old 08-28-2013, 04:52 AM

I have never worn gloves, but do use a rotary cutter with a retractable blade. My left had is always on the ruler when cutting & well away from the edge of the ruler where I'm cutting, so I don't think I could cut myself. The retractable blade is also good for the accidental droping of the cutter.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 AM

Sadly, I have to admit that I do not wear gloves while using the rotary cutter. Yes, I have nipped my index finger on the holding hand a couple of times (slow learner).

UNTIL, someone gave me a wonder tip: always make sure your pinky finger is on the table and not on the template or ruler. Of course there are always exception to the rule but this tip helps to keep my fingers away from the blade.

Another tip: never, never, ever reach out and grab a rotary cutter that is falling off the cutting surface!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 AM

I always use a Klutz glove having cut a sizable slice off my thumb with an xacto blade in college. (Half the size of a dime and as thick as a nicklel). Seven or eight stitches. The reason I use it was when I cut my thumb, I saw that my thumb was in the way but couldn't stop my hand long enough to avoid being cut. I can't imagine what a rotary cutter would have done.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:24 PM

I don't use the gloves. I hate wearing gloves although I do use Machingers for FMQ does make it easier. But I am always pulling them off.(and losing one) I make sure I slow down because I have read about others cutting themselves.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:59 PM

You have the tool to do it, why not "alter" the glove to fit better, so it's not so clumsy? You will probably have to throw the needle out afterward, but still.

I don't wear a glove to cut, but I should. I'm such a klutz. I got the Red snappers on my frame, and though WHEW! No more stab wounds!! Then within minutes, dropped my ultra sharp scissors on my foot. They landed point down and skewered me on a toe knuckle. Blood everywhere. The only thing I could think was, "You've got to be kidding!"

I would probably go for one of the fishermans gloves first that someone else mentioned.

I also can't stand gloves. Garden, working on the vehicles whatever. I use gloves with FMQ, but with the finger tips cut out and it makes me less crazy.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:29 PM

I never use them for cutting but I swear by them for machine quilting, esp free motion... I saw it on a craftsy video, purchased them, and I've been in love with the feel/ control/ results ever since!