Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Glue Basting Sceptic >

Glue Basting Sceptic

Glue Basting Sceptic

Old 12-10-2014, 09:11 PM

This is my favourite way to finish off my quilt, allowing you to place your fabric exactly where you would like it .

I also glue baste with Elmers clear school glue, and my method is as follows:

pour glue into a small square bowl, add some water to thin it down - do not dilute too much - just so it runs smoothly, use a damp sponge and starting in the middle of my quilt, do 1/4 of my quilt at a time working towards the bottom, picking up the glue with the sponge, then dabbing the sponge onto the batting, across from left to right then smooth the top onto the batting, and continue until down to the bottom edge, let it dry about 30- 45 minutes. Turn the quilt so you will working on the left side where you first started to glue on the first 1/4 of the quilt, finish that section, now you will have the bottom half finished on that side of the quilt.

Once the bottom is put together you can start on the top section, however you will have to do from left to right, right across both 1/4 sections of the top. (You need to do the complete top section, however do start again in the middle of your quilt, so you don't end up with excess fabric from starting at the top)

When doing the bindings, I use the red clips (I have about 50-75 red clips) and this time I use a small paint brush, again put some elmers glue in a dish add a bit of water, so it flows much smoother, do a small section about 12 inches at a time, putting the glue within the 1/4 inch of your outer edge, I try to keep the glue from the area where I will be stitching, however it doesn't seem to bother the sewing - then place your binding where you want it to be sewn, put on a red clip and continue this on all four side of your quilt, leave overnight, the next day, remove all the clips and it will ready to stitch, either by hand or by machine.

Watch the Sharon Schamber video on glue basting, she is a very good instructor.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:52 AM

Thanks Donna, I have never thought of using a sponge for glue basting.

A few things I think I have not seen mentioned on this thread:

1. for arthritic hands: put your washable school glue (thinned just a tad bit with water) in a condiment bottle with those red tips on them. I got mine from JoAnn's in the cake decorating section.

2. for bindings I use the glue stick.

3. for hand sewing on a binding I have found if I cannot push my needle in it is an indication I have applied the glue too thickly. Just wet it with your finger, pull it apart, then, re glue more lightly.

I like d.rickman's idea of using those red clips to hold the bindings until the glue sets.

Forgot to mention I have heard it suggested to use a broad putty knife or credit card to smooth over your glue application to more evenly distribute the glue if you have globs here and there.

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 12-11-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I'm a glue baster all the way. Once I tried it I never went back to another method. Washable school glue is always on my Christmas list. I too hold the bottle up about 6" or so above my quilt bat so that I get a thin stream of glue going and then do it in a zig zag pattern on the bat. By putting it on the bat I don't have to worry about it seeping through the fabric onto the surface that my quilt is laying on. I've never had any problem with it gumming up my needle or machine. If you haven't used this method, give it a try.
Me, Too!! requested and got the gallon size from Amazon 2 years ago, still using it!!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:19 PM

Question....I assume if you do use the glue to baste your quilt together, is it a must to wash the quilt when you are finished quilting it? Is it noticeable that it has been glue basted if you don't wash it? Just thinking it would be a more economical way to baste than spray basting for donated quilts.