GLUE

Old 05-01-2011, 07:10 AM

I ha;ve been out of school for more years than I care to admit! Because of the arthritis in my thumbs, pinning can be very painful at times. Gluing some spots works great for me. I don't think there should be any critisism for what ever method people choose to use. They may have a very valid reason for using it!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by sapdoggie
I have a DBIL who says " If you can't glue it- Don't do it. " :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great tips though- how long does it take for the bottled glue to dry before sewing? Do you press the pieces with an iron to dry?
I use my iron to dry it. It doesn't hold well if I don't iron. That's what Sharon Schamber recommends.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

Quote has been edited:

Originally Posted by toadmomma
. . . When a person answers a question that is not a positive answer by majority opinion everyone goes on the defensive and makes references to the offender throughout the post. First off sometimes we dont always think what we write is ment to be taken to heart its just a quick comment. not a total thought. Second this happening will make alot of people not comment for fear of retaliation and more embarassment than they already gave themselves by putting their foot in their mouths. . . .Whats the saying about letting things slide off your back? and not take it so personnal. . . . DEB
This is not the only thread that this has happened on.

I also see no reason to jump all over a person that does not want to try it - or does not like or want to try any particular pattern or technique.

However, back to trying glue - I haven't tried it - until I have, I probably should not make any judgments about how well the technique does - or does not - work.

There seem to be a lot of skilled quilters that do use it.

My main concerns about using glue/paste are:

Would it come out? Would it stain or discolor the fabrics? Would it be hard to sew through?

Using glue might make my finished products better. As is, I think they turn out quite well without using glue.

A lot of techniques/processes we take for granted now are relatively new - and still criticized by some - such as rotary cutting, piecing by machine, quilting by machine, etc.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:29 AM

I have been using Sharon's method for binding for a long time. I use the clear Elmer's school glue. It works great and washes right out.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:33 AM

when i wrote that post on glue , we were going to be working on half square triangles. to make pin wheels for the raffle quilt. the next quilt that i have to put binding on i'm going to use the glue method as I have a problem with getting the binding on even.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by sapdoggie
I have a DBIL who says " If you can't glue it- Don't do it. " :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great tips though- how long does it take for the bottled glue to dry before sewing? Do you press the pieces with an iron to dry?
I use my iron to dry it. It doesn't hold well if I don't iron. That's what Sharon Schamber recommends.
Thanks for your help.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:10 AM

I think very tiny dots of glue are put in the seam allowance, then ironed, to hold it together when you're piecing, Elmer's School Glue is washable so it would come out.

I think I'll have to practice making those tiny dots because I tend to have a shaky hand. I did pick up set of tips which should make that easier to do.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:24 AM

F rogers: I appreciate the hint, as I am sure we all do here. Tonnie Lorae:I am sorry for the negative responces that many have given.I hope your feelings have not been hurt.
Toadmomma: Thanks for your take on this.I agree.
Ladies and gentlemen quilters: We are all here as one big family and although we all may have different opinions, lets be kind to one another.I have been here for over two years and I rarely hear negativism towards one another and I really like that. I was met with a negative response once and I can tell you it really hurt my feelings as the response I felt was quiet nasty. We are all here to share. Remember the Golden Rule. Just thought I would give MY opinion. Thanks for reading.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:33 AM

GO FOR THE GLUE!
It really does works and there is no residue when washed.
Use water soluble such as Elmer's.
For those of you purchasing Roxanne's Glue. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE GLUE. I would purchase the Roxanne's tip ( I found it to be really good) but not the glue.
The glue is exactly the same as Elmer's. So if you have already purchased the tip and glue, go for the Elmer's to refil.
6 oz. refil of Roxannes is $18!
7.62 oz. of Elmers - $2.42 or a Gallon for $14.96
Di
Old 05-01-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
If measurements are done right and sewing is consistent, I don't think glue is needed, but if it works for her, great.
I agree. I don't even pin when piecing except when joing rows. If you take it slow and careful I don't think you neeg to pin or glue.