Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going to Lancaster County >

Going to Lancaster County

Going to Lancaster County

Old 06-23-2014, 06:57 AM

Default Going to Lancaster County

My DH is taking me to Lancaster County next month. We need recommendations. Where to stay, out of the way stores, food. He has been there before, but his interest was different then. I am turning him into a quilting husband. LOL I do want to see quilts, but I won't be buying any. I'd rather make them.
What about Hershey, Pa? Worth the time?
We will be flying in our airplane so space won't be a problem for all my purchases.
All suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:02 AM

Hershey is a very quaint town with Hershey Kiss lamposts with beautiful hanging baskets of lush flowers. There is the park with great rides and shows, a small zoo. There are outlet stores next to the park. There is also chocolate world where you can see how the candy is made and buy it by the box!!! A bit too touristy for me these days but you might like it.
There is also a small airport (Riegle's) just outside of town. I think the address might be Palmyra. From Hershey you are about an hour away from Lancaster county's quilt shops. The Country Store (intercourse) has reopened, the Quilt Shack (Intercourse), Zooks and Nancy's notions (Intercourse), the Log Cabin Quilt Shop (Bird in Hand)..this is my favorite. I can't think of the name of our favorite restaurant for lunch (senior moment?). Be sure to take a horse and buggy ride through town and visit a working amish farm. Good N Plenty restaurant provides meals family style serving Pennsylvania Dutch dishes.
There are loads of B&B's and Route 30 is a wonderland of outlets and shops including a couple of quilt shops. You'll have a great time!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:39 AM

I think quiltingranny has you covered! Wow - what a resource! Those would be all of my recommendations as well. Enjoy yourself.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:03 AM

There is a beautiful Victorian B&B in Adamstown, the Amethyst Inn, nearby is Burkholder's Fabric, and Sauder's Fabric (Sauder's is a sister store to Zook's). There is Antiquing nearby. In Reading, there is outlet shopping, A real Pagoda, and lots of really great restaurants. If you want to meet for coffee, I would love to meet!
Old 06-24-2014, 04:41 AM

There's a nice quilt show in Hershey coming up very soon, but I don't know the date. Maybe your trip will coincide. Google it to find out the date.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:57 AM

Olivia's Mimi - You've gotten a lot of great suggestions. I'd love to hear your favorites after you trip, as I continue to collect intel for my trip there at the end of September!
Michelle
Old 06-24-2014, 10:00 AM

If you like history Gettysburg is about an hours drive on Rte 15.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by scrappingfaye58 View Post
There is a beautiful Victorian B&B in Adamstown, the Amethyst Inn, nearby is Burkholder's Fabric, and Sauder's Fabric (Sauder's is a sister store to Zook's). There is Antiquing nearby. In Reading, there is outlet shopping, A real Pagoda, and lots of really great restaurants. If you want to meet for coffee, I would love to meet!
I would love to meet or coffee. I'm interesting my husband to my world. We've been married 5 months.
PM me with a phone number, please

Last edited by Olivia's Mimi; 06-25-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:17 AM

Millers Smorgasboard is a nice place to have dinner. Try to avoid Friday or Saturday after 6 unless you don't mind waiting. There is a quiltshop next to Mllers where you can browse while you wait for a table. Another quilt shop on the same road called Dutchland Fabrics. You can't miss it as there is a windmill! My favorite is Log Cabin Quilt Shop. There are really just 2 roads where all the shops are rt 30 and rt 340. There are no great distances to go. I have stayed at Country Inn and Suites and the Lancaster Host. I would recommend both. Have fun!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:19 AM

I forgot to mention that the quilt show in Hershey is called Quilt or Quilters Odyssey. I think it's in July,later in the month.