Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good Class Behavior by the Students >

Good Class Behavior by the Students

Good Class Behavior by the Students

Old 11-29-2017, 09:53 PM

If the class is over multiple days/weeks, it is courteous to sit in the space you used on the first day instead of randomely selecting a space each time. Some people will make an effort to arrive early on the first day as they might prefer a particular space e.g. in the front or back, with machine placing on left or right, close to a window or ironing station, etc. Respect this and don't take their space on the consecutive days.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:23 PM

I think Sewnoma's comments on the fragrance issue is a very appropriate point to raise. Being asthmatic, I ceased using fragrances several years ago -- the fragrances are good for nothing to me, except good for precipitating an asthma attach, and the only thing that's worse is cigarette smoke.

My doctor's office requests that patients Not wear fragrances. This was Not my suggestion, either!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-30-2017 at 07:01 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-30-2017, 03:24 AM

Default Teachers!

How about similar rules for teachers? The last class I took was a nightmare. If I hadn't come with friends I would have left.
Show up on time.
Have a class supply list ahead of time.
Xerox instructions ahead of time. Proofread for errors.
Know the instructions for the supplies.
Have a completed example.
Don't bring your dog to class.
Have sufficient tables and chairs set up ahead of time.
Don't increase the cost without notice.
Phone students the day before to remind them to be ready to work at a set time.
If you plan to supply fabrics, markers, patterns, or scissors be sure there's enough. (Six of us shared nail scissors at a quilt shop because we didn't know there'd be any cutting or sewing!)
Don't gossip, especially to other employees.
Have sufficient irons. One is not enough for seven people.
Supplying some fabric is nice but proclaiming the quilt shops fabric is overpriced so you bought it at WalMart is shocking!
Proudly telling the students that you've never taken a class is insulting.
Blowing a whistle to get attention is also insulting.
I've never returned to that quilt shop much less taken a class again.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
To insure a well behaved group, perhaps a this list should be given out ahead of time. Then people are aware of the rules.
In the teaching adults course we were told to establish ground rules or for adult learners to call it a classroom charter. I first thought the idea was odd, but a lot of adults have been out of the classroom for such a long time that they either have forgot or have developed rude behaviours over the years. It also forewarns any of those who might cause trouble that disrespect won't be tolerated.

Many years ago I taught an embroidery class and I had one student criticise another student and said that her work was ugly. I wasn't confident in handling that type of person who was an older woman, and frankly I think her 'social filters' were no longer working properly. I am sure many of us have had an elderly relative that blurts out inappropriate things and didn't really realise what they have said.

HettyB

Last edited by HettyB; 11-30-2017 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:53 AM

Lots of good suggestions. Seems like both students and teachers need reminding. I have been where a presenter brought her infant and it was a distraction. I also took a class where one of the students was a brand newbie and didnt know her machine and had never sewn anything before. The class was supposed to be for intermediates. She took up almost all of the teachers time with needed help with everything. It wasnt fair to the rest of us there. She would just yell out "Teach" when she was needing assistance. I finally did ask her to let the rest of us have time learning and she said you need to realize I have never done this before. This was definitely the last time I took a class with that instructor who allowed this. It put me off for a long time and I realize that just because someone can quilt does not mean they should teach.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-30-2017 at 07:03 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-30-2017, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I'll add one more - don't wear really strong fragrance! I think a lot of older ladies can't smell how strong their perfume is - I've attended classes that made me feel like I was going to be ill from all the fragrance in the room, and I'm not normally that sensitive to it. It's really hard to focus on the teacher when you feel like you're having trouble breathing!
I have a friend who has had cancer treatments twice and the smell of perfume makes her feel sick. Sometimes she has to get up and leave. She has even changed the church she attends because someone always wears a strong perfume.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:30 AM

I recently had to leave a bad review for a local quilt shop after my third bad experience. First time I took one of their classes we were instructed to use the same color in each block. I decided to change mine up and used a variety of colors in each block. You wouldn't believe the furor that caused. The teacher addressed me as "The Rebel" all day. It was a couple of years before I signed up for another class at that shop - I showed up 15 minutes before class time, as had several others and we were all sitting in our cars waiting for the shop to open. At the time that the class was supposed to start, the teacher finally drove up. And guess what? She didn't have a key to open the shop! We all stood there waiting for the owner to show - except for me. I waited 5 minutes and went home (because I'm a rebel).
Old 11-30-2017, 09:56 AM

Another thing: sign up for a class at your level or just a bit beyond. Know your own limitations. For example, if you've never done any hand sewing, don't sign up for advanced hand applique.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

No need for the instructor trying to feel like she is herding a bunch of cats that are being chased by a pack of wild dogs when each student is trying to be "original and creative" instead of "going with the flow".

Last edited by bearisgray; 11-30-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:36 PM

I've had bad experiences with fellow students and teachers alike. One class I took many years ago a fellow student told me that my fabric choices were "hideous." I found it rather funny at first and ignored it, I do tend to like unusual things compared to other fabric addicts, until a few minutes later when the teacher came around to check my progress on the technique and said, "You're right so and so, her fabric choices are really really ugly but she'll learn." Totally inappropriate and I left a pretty good complaint after the class was done about it. The shop told me that she was a really good teacher and we've never had a complaint before, maybe you should consider buying different material for classes. Yeah, never went back to that shop. I've had fellow students that ran the gambit but the worst are the ones that don't bathe (seriously smelled horrid and I'm in healthcare so that's saying something) or yes, the bathed in perfume and I'm grabbing for my inhaler and stepping outside to get fresh air. I've since done Craftsy since I have no other students to annoy me and I cannot annoy them and the teacher is ready to rock and roll at my pace.