Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A good hand lotion,,,,any suggestions? >

A good hand lotion,,,,any suggestions?

A good hand lotion,,,,any suggestions?

Old 04-17-2011, 05:21 AM

Love "Gloves in a Bottle" so much, I bought all they had (4 bottles) at a Walgreen's close to my house. Not only is it good for your hands while using fabric, I used it on the soles of my feet when wearing socks and it was awsome. I got a free sample from the shop where I bought my machine and went looking for it in the stores (Googled it online first).

Originally Posted by sandyl
My LQS sells a product called "Gloves in a Bottle" and it is awesome. DOesn't leave a residue on the fabric. You can use it while you are quilting. A really, really nice product made especially for us quilters. If you can't locate it, I'll be glad to forward a sample to you. I am not affiliated with this company, but a lady in our quilt group gave us each a sample. Let me know!
Sandy
Old 04-17-2011, 05:28 AM

I hate the gloves because they're so tight. I use the little short footie anklets.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by mayday
vaseline/lanolin put on over night sleeping in white cotton gloves, cheapest and it works!!
Not to dispute anyone, but sometimes for people with allergies these are not the best products to use, even though they work for most. Vaseline is petroleum based. My allergic skin does not like it. Lanolin is a known allergen for many. Often, high quality hypo allergenic products will list "lanolin free" as one of their qualities.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:31 AM
elm

Originally Posted by Radiana
Hello ladies. I'm not an experienced quilter by any means but hope to devote more time to it. My hands get very dry when I'm working with fabric and I'm not really good at remembering to put lotion on. I would like to keep some lotion near my sewing machine so I'll remember to use it. I'm allergic to most everything that has a scent to it. I'm wondering if there is a lotion someone can recommend that won't be a problem rubbing off on fabric.

Thank you so much.
I'm allergic to anything with a scent also. What I do is keep a non scented pump moisture lotion beside every sink in my house. Lotion works best when your hands are slightly damp. I use just a little right after washing my hands. Then when I work with fabric or paper, my hands are protected and I have never found that moisturizer transfers to what I'm working on. The brands I have used and liked are Kiss My Face, Jason and Olay.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:33 AM

I have eczema and my hands are always cracking. At night I use AquaPhor. Really good but greasy. In the daytime I use the cheap stuff from the $ store. Someone here recommended it. It's creamy petroleum jelly with vitamin E and is in a blue and white tube. It absorbs very nicely so i can use it and continue to quilt. Sometimes I mix it with aloe gel that I got at the health food store. Aveeno is good too. I tend to use whatever seems to work that day. I will try the glycerin and acid mantle. When you have eczema it's a never ending battle.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by psquared52
I was given a moisturizer called Vanicream by my dermatologist. It is a wonderful product. Available via prescription but also sold over the counter. Comes in a good size jar/tub with a pump. It is absorbed quickly into the skin and does not leave a greasy film. No color, odor, parabens. I have used every product mentioned and this is the best I've ever used.
If you can't find it locally, you can order it online. They have several very high quality hypo allergenic products that I love. Web site is www.psico.com. (I'm not affiliated.)
Old 04-17-2011, 05:38 AM

My dermatologist told me glycerin is okay but stay away from lanolin. The petroleum jelly doesn't bother me either.
It's hard finding what works for you. The Gloves in a Bottle irritates my hands.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:40 AM

Main and Taill, udder crean,aveeno they all help with dry and chapped hands. I work Construction and i dont use gloves all the time so u can imagine my hands.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:44 AM

I use Udderly Smooth also, recommended by ladies at LQS. Will not stain fabric.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:50 AM

I use the Aveeno extra moisturizing with the dark blue top. I get the unscented one. I even keep a tube in my truck.