Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this a good price on a Babylock Tiara? >

Is this a good price on a Babylock Tiara?

Is this a good price on a Babylock Tiara?

Old 04-14-2013, 07:55 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan
Default Is this a good price on a Babylock Tiara?

LQS shop has a Babylock Tiara on display, marked down to under $5000. We don't have the room in our 1000 sq ft condo for a big frame, so I have been looking at sit down setups. This seems like a good price, but the other part of me says, "If it has been marked down that many times already, hold out and it will get marked down again." What do people think? If I get it, I will need to move another piece of furniture out of my sewing room to make room even for that, but that's OK--that old desk I used to use as a sewing table can go.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 AM

Make an offer on it...
Old 04-14-2013, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

First of all, check with other dealers to compare your price.

The Tiara is the same machine as the HQ Sweet 16 ... their base price is on their website.
That being said, it probably is a different price at your local dealers.

You might want to compare what support is offered if buying Tiara vs. S16.
How knowledgable is your local dealer? What support is there from the manufacturer?
Price isn't always the only factor to making a decision.

In the last week I have been to three dealers of the two brands.
There is no question that if I am buying that it'll be the S16 ... lower price (direct, rather than another company in the middle), and a 1-800 helpline that has been right there to answer any questions I have as I make a decision. And from what I understand has been exceptional for those that have already purchased.

It's important to shop around, as there was a considerable price difference between the two S16 dealers I visited. In the three shops I visited, I really only felt one KNEW the machine. At one, I was starting to feel I had a better understanding of the machine from the research I'd been doing online and later verified from the home company.

I'm very impressed with the machine, though I haven't decided whether I can justify the cost for the use or if I am better purchasing a TOL DSM? Only time will tell!!!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

I got the Sweet 16 and I paid a little over $5k but it included the TruStitch, California taxes and shipping. I'd haggle some more. The Tiara, from what I hear doesn't have the height issue between the table and the machine. (DH raised my table so it isn't an issue for me either.)

QuiltE, I got mine for the same reason - space issues. This machine is wonderful. We added some IKEA cabinets on one end and DH modified an IKEA fold-up table on the other side for extra table space. I love the setup and it takes up so little space.

Last edited by MadQuilter; 04-14-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

MadQ ... I'm not sure what you're meaning about the height issue?
Both machines come with a table that is height adjustable up to 42" (not sure what the lowest setting is).

To be honest I was not so impressed with their TruStitch, and felt that my FMQ without it was far better. I recognize that it could be that the people who were demonstrating it, didn't get me onto the right speed, etc. I was far more impressed with the BSR, and just went straight into doing FMQ without any hiccups.