Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is This good for scrap storage?

Blog Entries
    I have four of these and I use them for storing UfO's and fabrics bought together for certain projects. I store thread in another. They are great as long as you don't have to pull out the drawers on a daily basis. I bought all mine at Sam's Club and the are clear.
    Previously known as McQuilter, Jan 22, 2009 with 1,400 + posts
    Today, I am as old as I have ever been.
    Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Thanks for asking this question.... I've been looking at them also and am interested in the answers!

I wanted a few of those before, but most of the reviews were horrible. They don't hold alot, break, all around..they aren't made well enough to really use. They do look cute though.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

If it were for me..no. Not big enough. I went to Wal mart and got some of the stacking bins. There are no tops on them so it has lots of room to expand and holds Alot. They were only $5 each and I have one for each color family. I even made labels.
    A bed without a Quilt is like a Sky without Stars..Sew On!

Blog Entries
    being already colored drawers - you can put blue scraps in the blue drawers, black in teh black - red in the red, etc... or even spray paint the front of each drawer teh general color scrap you have to put in it -

It looks sturdy enough - but I'd need to line a wall with them - have lots of scraps..... but then I have not done any scrap quilts yet - will get rid of alot of them when I can set and putz away my time doing scrappy quilts - up to now it has been patterned or requested theme quilts. so have accumulated a lot of scrap.

Blog Entries
    Have not been happy with mine....gonna disassemble. And remove the black piece to see if it works on keeping drawers in place better....

Quote Originally Posted by brookemarie19 View Post
    I read somewhere that if you take one side of the black rubber things out when putting it together that it makes the drawers fit more snuggly and don't fall out anymore. I am hoping that is correct. I foun them at SAMs that are all brown(more my style) for $30 so DH is going to pick it up for me today! So much better than waiting til next week lol
    That is my issue with my set of drawers.. .which I bought at Sams. My drawers are constantly going off-track and it is very frustrating. I use mine for my embroidery thread and it should work great... if the drawers would stay in. I am going to redo it this evening and hope that I can make it work better. Thanks for the suggestion.
    MistyMarie

I prefer my IKEA Antonius systems. The baskets are deep enough and easy to pull out and don't rust.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    I have several of these that I use. They are plenty sturdy enough to use for fabric. I use them for much heavier items.
    P.S. That is a good buy, I have seen them priced much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by brookemarie19 View Post
    I was looking through some black friday adds and saw this... Does anyone have one of these? I was wondering if the drawers are stong enough to hold fabric scraps. I don't have a ton, so I won't be stuffing them ( I think) but would hate to buy them if they are not sturdy as this would be the only thing I need them for. Thanks in advance for any input you guys can give me
    Last edited by kuntryquilter; 11-19-2011 at 03:45 AM.

They are cute, but sounds like the reviews aren't good. I have the clear rolling carts from WalMart -- bought over several years. Love, love them!

I would never buy it because it takes up too much floor space which is usually very
    valuable in a sewing room. My scraps are in a cardboard box in the closet.
    When it gets full I make a charity quilt with the scraps.
    Clear drawers would be a better choice so you could see the scraps inside, seems big to hold scraps. (?)

Have one and I am going to put it in a garage sale. Drawers are shallow.

It should work for scraps as they say for scrapbooking. If storing the pages in the drawer that would be heavier than fabric scraps. Same for stamping materials, they would be heavier than fabric scrap. When I saw the picture I thought "thread" spools. And yes, I could probably fill the whole thing as I am addicted to thread. grin

My scraps go into a large plastic see through bin until I get around to cutting them up into usable sizes. Then those drawers might work for storage of the finished pieces.

I have two of these and I like them I put cut sq. blocks, fat quarters, I like them. The drawers come off the ttrack easy but take the washer out and it is better.
    Bring Your Conscious awareness to the source of loving and Caring

NOT sturdy at all. The drawers constantly go off the tracks, you can only put lightweight items in it, and the frame
    screws loosen, making it wobbly. My husband finally put it on the curb so someone else could be annoyed by it.

I have two of these....I put projects that are "in progress" and I use labels on the front. Also good for templates. They are originally designed for "paper people", so don't plan to "load those drawers", but they certainly are useful, and actually would buy another if I find one at that price...I could see threads in there, and oh so many different things we quilters use!!!

Blog Entries
    Brooke...I have 2 of these (Sams has the best price) and use them for precut squares, fat quarters and general scraps...I love them
    Happy Quilting
    Love in Christ
    Suzi

Blog Entries
    I have a side by side one. I put my pencils misc. tools in it like other have said the drawers come off easy. I wouldn't by one for the full price. I got the double one at a garage sale for $20.
    dlprecisionquilting.com

Quote Originally Posted by carolevidak View Post
    I had one and ended up giving it to my DH for the garage. It is not very sturdy and the drawers are constantly coming off the rungs. I was only using it for misc tools, etc. You can buy them at the big discountstores for $20 something. I wouldn't recommend this . Sorry!

Carole
    I have the same problem. I bought one for my scrapbooking and the drawers fall out constantly. I would not recommend it at all.

My DD has one of these for her art supplies, but I would not recommend it for scraps. It is not sturdy and the drawers are not very big. Sorry.
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

I have one and use it for misc tools, tape, machine attachments, etc. The drawers are not really deep enough to hold much fabric. And because I am not constantly opening the drawers, I don't have a problem with the drawers coming off the sliders.
    To QUILT is human.
    To FINISH is divine.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...4369F3FA17.png

Suz
    My preference is also the larger see-thru drawers. I got mine from KMart for cheap, cheap. Warning for the wider drawers, the top will become concave if you store heavier items on top. (Ask me how I know this.) So, if you chose the wider drawers, support with a sturdy board. I also have a taller unit with two small drawers at the top and three larger drawers beneath. For some reason, it wants to lean. I just removed the wheels (which kept falling off anyhow) and fixed the problem.

Yeh that would be good.
    God Bless you all.
    Heather.

Blog Entries
    The cart looks pretty cool! I would prefer clear containers so you could see what's in each bin, but as long as you label and know yourself, guess that really doesn't matter? Scrapbooking supplies and paper will be heavier than fabric. Good luck on the black Friday thing...I shudder to even think about that...

Was reading everyone's posts...some say yes, some say no...guess when you see it, you'll decide what to do!
    Ronda

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast