Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Is This good for scrap storage?

My personal opinion (because I have one similar to the one pictured) is that the drawers are not deep enough. Also the drawers in mine always "slip" off the runners so I am constantly having to readjust them. I also agree that I would prefer the clear plastic type drawers so I can see what is in them. Sorry if I "burst" your bubble??!
    heberstitcher
    I am Always In Stitches in AZ

I have one. Not very sturdy. Don't recommend
    Quote Originally Posted by carolevidak View Post
    I had one and ended up giving it to my DH for the garage. It is not very sturdy and the drawers are constantly coming off the rungs. I was only using it for misc tools, etc. You can buy them at the big discountstores for $20 something. I wouldn't recommend this . Sorry!

Carole

Blog Entries
    I did not care for them. If you have a small amount of scraps and do not use them a ton it would be ok for organizational purposes but they do not stay on the rungs well so if you are opening and closing them a lot they are not great.

I had one but I gave it to a schoolteacher b/c the drawers would never stay in the slots intended. Mine was about 3 years old so maybe they have been remade with better gliders.
    TJ

If the drawers are big enough,you could put FQ's in them too. Green shades in a green drawer etc.My tubs I use have different color lids and some have different color tubs too. Like pink for the pink shades etc.Mine are on wood shelves.
    Mary

Banned
    I have a similar cart in which I store "already in progress" quilts

I received one of these as a gift last Christmas. I have all of those drawers filled with thread - starting at the bottom with serger thread, working up with machine embroidery threads, hand quilting, piecing, general purpose and specialty threads. I'm considering adding another one for storing purchased and homemade jelly rolls and other precuts,

I use the six drawer carts on wheels that I got at JoAnn. I have 2 of them and separate my scraps by colros. They roll and fit nicely under my counter so they can be moved out of the way easily.

Quote Originally Posted by brookemarie19 View Post
    I was looking through some black friday adds and saw this... Does anyone have one of these? I was wondering if the drawers are stong enough to hold fabric scraps. I don't have a ton, so I won't be stuffing them ( I think) but would hate to buy them if they are not sturdy as this would be the only thing I need them for. Thanks in advance for any input you guys can give me
    I don't have one BECAUSE when I saw it on display, it was so off balance, so light, it would fall over. Now, it might have been that it wasn't really put together too well but if I were you, I'd look at it PERSONALLY before making a purchase. I have the four drawer, plastic, on wheels carts (three smaller drawers on top, one larger drawer on the bottom, with wheels that I don't use) and they are GREAT! Good luck.

I agree wit Kerry K. I bought one of these (at Costco $18) for stained glass supplies...and have the same problem. The drawers constantly come off the track. Very disappointed. I've seen them at thrift stores probably for the same reason.

I really like the Iris brand scrapbook boxes for my scraps and projects. I watch for sales at Michael's and Hobby Lobby. The clear boxes make it easy to manage the contents.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    I have one of these! I bought mine at Sam's several years ago for $20 just because I thought they were cute. Bought two of them, actually! It's okaaaay ... that's the best I can say. I use mine for stuff that doesn't have to be seen or used daily. The drawers get off track very easily and are rather aggravating. I'm glad I only paid $20 each for mine. I don't think it's worth the $35 price, and for sure would never pay the ridiculous "regular" price. Hope this info helps.
    "Find Joy in the Journey"
    U..U, =^..^=, =^..^=

I only have enough stash to fit a small shoe box tote of the different colors, so I don't see me not having enough room for that. I am just tired of having the whole stack fall on me when I try to go and get the bottom color (because thats always the one you need lol) DH wasn't able to go to the store for me yesterday, so I will be going to Sam's myself tomorrow after taking my DD to go see Breaking Dawn. Hopefully it works well, but if not I can always take it back because Sam's is great about returns.
    Brooke

I like clear. The drawers aren't deep enough.

I have one and I love it. Very sturdy. The drawers aren't really big but if you don't have a whole lot of scraps it should work fine. have fun

These storage drawers are cute and I have seriously considered them. I decided against them because they seem to take up a lot more space than they deliver in storage. The frame is large; the drawers are shallow.

Temple, TX (Transplanted from New York 2010)
    I don't have one either. If you do get it, please let me know how it works for you. Thanks.....

debra
    cny_sewer39

Sew Much Fabric, Sew Little Time...

I have one I use for scrapbooking stuff. My drawers never have come off track, but do pull out easily to see what is in them. I'm considering getting 2 for my classroom actually. I really like mine.

I had one, but I got rid of it because of the obvious reasons stated of not being sturdy enough and I'd rather have the plastic, so I can see what is inside. I love it, got it at Wal-Mart, paid alittle over $20 for it, but it was worth every penny!
    Steffie
    Quilting is my stress buster!

~ Stephanie ~

I've seen them in England, but where can you get them here in the states and especially at that price. Love them.

Well, I went out and got one last night. I put it together and have my fabrics in them and my verdict is..... I LOVE IT!! It is just the right size for the fabrics I have and the drawers seem to be made well enough that they wont fall off if I try to stuff it full. And the great part is that DH approves of it enough(he is a very picky man) that he says I should get another one for all my embroidery thread! It is going to be great to have my sewing room somewhat organized now!! Thank you everyone for your inputs and helpful suggestions!!
    Brooke

Blog Entries
    I had one---- anything heavy causes it to sag and come out of the side rails, think I paid only 15.00 used it for a while gave it to grandson.

I would say that you defiantly buy it. I just bought last week from IKEA to storage so many stuffs. It stay not sturdy but the drawers easily open it and you can store so many small items. I keep it all colors of threads and niddle and also so many stuffs and I can say its completely worth to buy it.

Blog Entries
    duplicate post.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    To keep the drawers on track is easy. If you put it together, do not use the big spacer washers. That will keep the drawers in the rungs and they won't slip off. If it is already together, take the spacers out and replace with thin washers if needed.
    Got fabric?

It is sturdy/
    clsurz

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    To keep the drawers on track is easy. If you put it together, do not use the big spacer washers. That will keep the drawers in the rungs and they won't slip off. If it is already together, take the spacers out and replace with thin washers if needed.
    I am completely agree with you. I faced same situation because when I put a big spacer washers then its totally banned in another side. So that is good for me that I am using to keep thin and lite items as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3