Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
goodwill >

goodwill

goodwill

Old 11-25-2010, 10:47 AM

wow, that's a lotta buttons!!! have you even SEEN them all yet? i can't fathom how many buttons that is!!! OMG

Originally Posted by quilt3311
I shop the Goodwill and Salvation Army shops. I found a box of buttons for $20. Now I am not talking a shoe box, but a large apple box. The kind grocery stores get apples in! The buttons were packaged in zip lock bags and we counted a couple bags, by multiplying we figured there are about 750,000 buttons. Now I am the go to person for buttons in our guild. grin.
I was told an elderly lady had passed away and her kids just told Salvation Army they could have it all. They cleaned up her apartment and were selling everything. They were told she had collected buttons for over 75 years and they had all been on cards etc. but they just tore them off and put them in bags. How I wish I had all those old button cards too.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:43 PM

In two of my favorite thrift stores the fabric is usually put close to the crafts and stuff and when you go in there - just look for the most populated spot in the store - the good stuff doesn't last long at all!! :-)
Old 11-25-2010, 12:58 PM

I go goodwill hunting every week at least! I find wonderful fabric all of the time and my book collection is stupendous. Watch for thread. They usually bag up 10-12 spools and sell for $1.99. I have gotten every type of thread from old wooden spools to brand new, never opened brand names. I am soo lucky!!
Old 11-25-2010, 01:21 PM

It never ended my mind to look for fabric at Goodwill or a thrift store but I will, the first thing next week. Thanks for the information.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Cyn

Great job!
Old 11-25-2010, 01:40 PM

Just yesterday I was shopping at our local thrift store, had not been there in ages. I got TWO large yardages of pinwale cordoroy. I piece was medium brown and about three and a half yards for 1.29, Other piece was about six yards of beautiful brown pinwale for 99 cents. My lucky day. Two toddler granddaughters will definitely have new jumpers or jackets soon.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:46 PM

mygirl--juat have a friend shop for you! OR you could start a shopping service for us on the board :>)
Old 11-25-2010, 02:27 PM

Our Goodwill hangs their fabric with the bedspreads too. I've gotten some really good deals but you need to check often and especially on senior citizen discount day if you are a senior. My sister finds wonderful deals at Beale's outlet. She will buy a dress that is a 2X or 3X just for the fabric, cut out the seams and use the fabric to construct all kinds of things. Sometimes for 95 cents. It's amazing how much fabric is in a plus size dress.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:27 PM

I have found a lot of nice fabrics in GW and I also have found Hoffman as well. The store nearest me tends to carry a lot of knits but once in a while we get some good deals on great cottons. I have also managed to pick up a couple of really decent older Singers. I tend to refurbish them and then resell when I can. Always have to stop int here to see what I cant live without!
Old 11-25-2010, 03:38 PM

I find lots and lots of stuff at the Goodwill here. It does seem to come in slower during the winter months though.
Most recently I found a partially finsihed quilt, tans and black...very nice and recent. A couple years ago I went in late one evening and found about 10 yards of a nice 30's repo fabric. Those are just two that I remember. I love shopping the thrift stores!