Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
goodwill >

goodwill

goodwill

Old 11-25-2010, 03:51 PM

The Goodwill near us is so dirty you want to shower if you go in. there is a nice one over 100 miles from us but, don't get a chance to go there often.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:40 PM

our Goodwill never has any fabrics or quilting stuff either
Old 11-25-2010, 05:45 PM

I found 3 brand new cutting mats (3x4 ft.) for $3.50, but I have never found any fabric.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
Stopped into our local goodwill store this am to see if they had anything that I could use for quilting. and lo and behold! I found remnents hanging with the sheets and curtains. I got like 4 yards of navy blue cotton for 1.27. also got 5 others that were on nice colors, cotton and most were over a yard, all for under 1.27 each. Dont know if anyone has looked for fabric in there before but you cant beat the price!
oh, yes, here is my find at Savers - a thrift store like Goodwill.
18 yards for $9.99!! We both got great bargins. This fabric is by SPRING and is wonderful quality. I am still doing the happy dance!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-133909.jpe  
Old 11-25-2010, 06:19 PM

Sounds like my DH does not like to poke through stuff. I think i could be there a long time like you will have to go by myself.
Originally Posted by jdavis
My dental hygienist says she goes to Good Will, etc for wool coats to cut up for rug braiding. After hearing what all the ladies on the board have found there, I am trying to get over there to check it out. Recently my DH noticed a local GW having a grand opening (more like an expansion, I think). The other day when my DH and I were through with errands somewhat earlier than expected, I asked if he'd like to stop there. He looked at me like I was from Mars! I guess I'll have to wait until I'm out alone....which doesn't happen that much.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:41 PM

Do not forget the dress shirts, lg skirts or dress for fabric in them.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:46 PM
lue

I stop by my Goodwill (downtown Seattle) all the time and usually find lots of cotton quilting fabrics. Last week I found BRAND NEW cotton sheets (I bought lavender & pink) for $2.99 each that I plan to use as quilt backing. Also found a beautiful piece of white fabric with big bold burgundy flowers down the center. I plan to use that for quilt backing. My other great find almost every time I go in: quilt books for $2.99 (hardback) and $1.99 (paperback). Go Goodwill!
Old 11-25-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
I shop the Goodwill and Salvation Army shops. I found a box of buttons for $20. Now I am not talking a shoe box, but a large apple box. The kind grocery stores get apples in! The buttons were packaged in zip lock bags and we counted a couple bags, by multiplying we figured there are about 750,000 buttons. Now I am the go to person for buttons in our guild. grin.
I was told an elderly lady had passed away and her kids just told Salvation Army they could have it all. They cleaned up her apartment and were selling everything. They were told she had collected buttons for over 75 years and they had all been on cards etc. but they just tore them off and put them in bags.
How I wish I had all those old button cards too.

I have antique buttons and rarely ever see them at any kind of shop (antique, junk, etc.)anymore. I collected the buttons I in the mid-late 60's from Button Shows in Ohio. The majority of them are on cards and are dated. Sounds like you found a treasure!! Enjoy!!!
Old 11-25-2010, 07:36 PM

Have found a large wooden lazy susan that I put my TV on so I can rotate it to see while I'm sewing!

Also, men's dress shirts make great fabric for scrape quilts. Can be found for $1.00 per shirt depending on the part of the country.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
I work at Salvation Army, and we get a TON of fabric in all the time, but no one buys much of it around here. I wish we (employees) were allowed to shop in the store, I would have a HUGE collection!
Have you ever thought of having a friend or family member go in to "shop" for you?