Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Got this far, now I need HELP, what next

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter

I think the rope border followed by the green would look good with what you have so far.
    Lisa

I would have to agree, rope then green!

TreeFrog

I like the rope then green as shown in the 2nd photo. Very nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    My plans change all the time. I often get the idea I'm good at this until I start putting things together and then have to adjust the plan to fit my abilities.

I think the rope border followed by the green would look good with what you have so far.
    I agree

Think I would do a small green with a small rope and then a final green. Be sure and send us a picture when it is done.

Green, then rope. Your grass will look fabulous on the back.

Love your quilt = I like the look of green then rope, I might stop there, and again if you need it bigger you could go with the green again after the rope

Love your quilt = I like the look of green then rope, I might stop there, and again if you need it bigger you could go with the green again after the rope

Oops posted twice

Rope as the final border, I don't think I would put another green border as there is already alot around the horse blocks. Very nice job so far.

Quote Originally Posted by gal288
    If you do the roping as the first border you will loose the effect of the boxes. I would suggest that you do a border of the green the same width of the spacing between the blocks, the do the roping as a final border. Bind it in the green.

To see if you like what I have suggested, line the green, roping and then green up on one side and see how it looks. That's what I usually do to visualize how it will end up.

I was typing while you were posting.

Love the green border then the roping. Do the darker gold as the binding and the grassy(?) fabric as the backing.

I like what Peg is suggesting, green then roping, then green. Binding could be several different choices. I like to audition by laying out the fabric first. Sometimes taking pictures helps us see the project with a different eyes.

Pam M

Blog Entries
    I COULDN'T BELIEVE WHEN I OPENED THIS THREAD AND SAW THE PICTURE. I AM MAKING A QUILT WITH HORSES NOT THE SAME ONE BUT VERY SIMMILAR COLORS AND HAVE THE SAME GREEN SASHING AND AM IN A BIND OF WHAT TO BORDER WITH ALSO. WHAT A HOOT. SO I WILL KEEP READING YOURS. LOLOLOL
    P.S. SEND A PICTURE OF THE FINISHED QUILT SO IT WILL GIVE ME A CLUE WHAT TO DO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mimistutz
    Of the second and third picture which way do you think? or do you mean just brown and leave out the other two? Never thought of just plain brown, but that's a good idea. Does it matter how many borders you use, don't want to over do it. Tossed this around in my head all night, I need sleep.LOL
    I HAVE A 2 INCH BORDER OF A DARKER GREEN RIGHT NOW AS MY FIRST BORDER AND WAS THINKG OF DOING A DARK BROWN TINY ONE BEFORE I DO THE FINAL BORDER BUT CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO THE FINAL BORDER IN. CAN'T BELIEVE HOW SIMILAR OUR HORSE FABRICS ARE.

Blog Entries
    Of the second and third picture which way do you think? or do you mean just brown and leave out the other two? Never thought of just plain brown, but that's a good idea. Does it matter how many borders you use, don't want to over do it. Tossed this around in my head all night, I need sleep.LOL
    I HAVE A 2 INCH BORDER OF A DARKER GREEN RIGHT NOW AS MY FIRST BORDER AND WAS THINKG OF DOING A DARK BROWN TINY ONE BEFORE I DO THE FINAL BORDER BUT CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO THE FINAL BORDER IN. CAN'T BELIEVE HOW SIMILAR OUR HORSE FABRICS ARE.

You've done terrific work so far - very nice quilt. I agree with those who say green and then rope, bind in green. But then, whatever you do will be great. My quilt ideas change depending on fabric chosen, size, whatever.

Blog Entries
    If you do the roping as the first border you will loose the effect of the boxes. I would suggest that you do a border of the green the same width of the spacing between the blocks, the do the roping as a final border. Bind it in the green.

To see if you like what I have suggested, line the green, roping and then green up on one side and see how it looks. That's what I usually do to visualize how it will end up.

Love the green border then the roping. Do the darker gold as the binding and the grassy(?) fabric as the backing.
    Yes. I agree.

If it were mine, I would preview a narrow 3/4 to 1-1/2"darker brown first border with 3-4" of the green grassy print on the outside, then bind it with the rope print cut on the bias. I'd love to see a pic of that :)

I would say a small border of green, then the rope. It's a beautiful quit. They will just love it no matter how you do it

I agree with this. Your quilt is beautiful.

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    I have only made one quilt and a few small projects, but I tackled this.. How should I finish it? I am going to try to post pictures and my question is what border should I put on this? Green then rope ---rope then green - either or. The grass fabric is for the back. I thought I would put one of the large horse panels in the middle of the back.
    I thought this would be easy, but have changed so many times. It started out I was going to put sashing around each panel with the rope fabric, didn't like that and changed to the green. Now how or should I finish.
    This is for my step-son and wife, I want to take to them in Oklahoma when we go in May.
    Finally, do you usually stick with your original plan when making a quilt or does it change as you go like this one did.
    Good morning - LOL - I change all the time also by the time something is finished. The top is great, obviously for a horse lover - very appropriate. Know they will love it.

I really like the rope then green. Will it be quilted, tied in the pic corners or what?

Good luck, be sure & show us the finished product.

Have a blessed day & may all your quilts be filled w/love. :lol:

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey

Yes. I agree.
    After looking at pics again, I agee w/you - a sm. green, then the rope, then perhaps a solid drkr brown as the final??? Just a suggestion.

, I agree with the green, rope, and bind with the green. I know the recipients will be happy.

I like the green then the rope border.

Blog Entries
    I think a narrow border of the "grass" fabric, then the green and then the rope would look nice. But always go with your own gut feelings...of course if you're like me all my gut does is get upset that I can't pick out the right combination! LOL

Thanks to all my friends here for the suggestions. I can't wait to get off work for the weekend so I can go home and try them.
    I'll probably do real simple quilting, maybe Stich in the ditch, never did any other kind or never tied one.
    Gotta get back to it, only got a few weeks to finish. If I have to, I can "pillow case"? the layers together or bind it by machine to the front and hand sew it to the back while DH is driving (22hrs). I'll post pics before we leave.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I think green border - then small rope border - then green again
    I totally agree with this plan!!

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I think green border - then small rope border - then green again
    I totally agree with this plan!! Oops! Sorry, I clicked twice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast