Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Got this far, now I need HELP, what next

I like the rope then green.

My quilts seem to grow as I work on them.LOL
    I agree with the majority here, but hang it up and study on it for a few days before you sew.
    Its lovly, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I think green border - then small rope border - then green again
    This would be my choice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gal288
    If you do the roping as the first border you will loose the effect of the boxes. I would suggest that you do a border of the green the same width of the spacing between the blocks, the do the roping as a final border. Bind it in the green.

To see if you like what I have suggested, line the green, roping and then green up on one side and see how it looks. That's what I usually do to visualize how it will end up.

I was typing while you were posting.

Love the green border then the roping. Do the darker gold as the binding and the grassy(?) fabric as the backing.
    I agree, green then rope!

I would use the green, then grass fabric (I know it is for the back) for the second border. Then I would use the rope fabric to bind the quilt, maybe even cut it on the bias. If you wanted to you could even but a strip of one piece of rope in between the green and the grass.

And yes, I change as I go, which is why it takes me forever.

Love the horse blocks!! I'd do green first to help visually keep it going.

Green border and then the rope border. AND do not change your mind.

Yes if there is a way to screw up a pattern it will happen to me. So my pattern always changes. I agree that a thin border of the green and then the rope fabric border,and then binding it with the green. Nice job.

Super love the rope.

Super love the rope.

I agree with this and with donnajean's post right before this one. It's going to be very nice!

If you do the roping as the first border you will loose the effect of the boxes. I would suggest that you do a border of the green the same width of the spacing between the blocks, the do the roping as a final border. Bind it in the green.

To see if you like what I have suggested, line the green, roping and then green up on one side and see how it looks. That's what I usually do to visualize how it will end up.

Love the green border then the roping. Do the darker gold as the binding and the grassy(?) fabric as the backing.

I agree. This would look very nice.

Picture #2

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I think green border - then small rope border - then green again
    I like this suggestion.
    You might experiment with a slightly smaller green 1st border, rope border then a green border maybe the same width af the rope.

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin
    I also like the continuity that using the green again on the other side of the rope border brings. They must be horse lovers. It is beautiful!
    I agree that you need the green first to finish framing the boxes. Then choose whatever fabric you like or just add binding. BTW I love the quilt, I'm crazy about horses.

I just had to say I love your quilt it is so sweet and peaceful whoever receives this quilt will sure be blessed!

Put the rope first, then the green. Leave the grass print off. It looks to dry, too much brown in it. Otherwise, beautiful work!

I liked the rope then the green. It looks really great.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    My plans change all the time. I often get the idea I'm good at this until I start putting things together and then have to adjust the plan to fit my abilities.

I think the rope border followed by the green would look good with what you have so far.
    You need a row of green all way round then the rope and then if you want another row of green. The first green will set all your blocks off to perfection. Lay the fabric beside the top and walk away for a while then come back with clear eyes and see which you prefer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enchanted Quilter

I was typing while you were posting. this is what I was thinking the green to save the integrity of the blocks on the top and sides of quilt then the rope ,grass on the back this is just so pretty luv the horses

I agree also think the grassy will be perfect for the back. I'm work on a butterfly quilt have change the strips 3 times. I can't seem to stay with the colors I statr out with on this one. Makes the fabric store happy.

Blog Entries
    dont know how that happend sorry ,, but from,,, this is what I was thinking the green to save the integrity of the blocks on the top and sides of the quilt ,then the rope ,the grass on the back this is just so pretty luv the horses DOTTIE BUG

Well it's coming along. As suggested by serveral, I put green around to complete framing the horses and I'm adding the roping border now. After a lot of thought, I think I am going to sandwich it like a pillow case, so the rope will be the last border and then no binding. After I turn it I will sew about a 1/2 inch in from the edge all the way around. Hope to post pictures next week.
    BarbZ How are your horses coming?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3