Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Got my Sweet 16 sitdown today!! >

Got my Sweet 16 sitdown today!!

Got my Sweet 16 sitdown today!!

Old 07-22-2015, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

Very nice.
I would need a lot more room on the left side.
I have two 9" throat machines and cant quilt a queen size with no problems. Most of mine are double size quilts.
I am now making lap covers a bit less than twin size for Christmas donation.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:08 AM

Congratulations! I think it's a great machine. I put a card table to the left of mine to hold the bulk of the quilt. I'm sure you will love it.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:20 AM

Congratulations! Keep us updated on your learning curve and progress.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:55 AM

Oh Boy!!! You are going to be busy now. Congrats and have fun
Old 07-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

WOW, Congratulations. I'm happy for you, but also a little jealous (well, just a little, as I don't have the space for it at this point in time - maybe later). Enjoy your vacation and look what you have to look forward to when you get back. Enjoy getting acquainted with your new best friend. It looks like a great setup.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:47 PM

Wow! Very nice set-up. I would love a machine & table like that. Maybe someday but for now it's out of the question. Have fun on vacation & enjoy your new machine when you get home. It will sure make those bigger quilts easier to handle.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:25 PM

I love my Sweet 16! If you have only had newer domestic machines, you have to get over the fear of adjusting both bobbin and top tension in order to use all the wonderful threads out there. I had some vintage machines and a multi-needle embroidery machine so I was used to playing with tensions ! Do you have the stitch regulator? It wasn't available when I got mine so I learned to quilt just fine without it. It just takes practice. The only thing this type of machine doesn't do easily is straight lines. I would recommend your first ruler be the "Line-Tamer" which is by far the easiest one for straight lines.

While you're gone, you can look at the many lovely videos available. Have fun!

Pam
Old 07-23-2015, 06:38 AM

You are in for a lot of quilting fun! I've had my Sweet 16 for a couple years now and just can't get enough of time using it.

My personal advice is to watch all the HQ videos that apply to what you want to do with your machine. And don't, simply don't miss Jamie Wallen's videos. His videos helped me more than the HQ videos--although HQ has added many new videos since I purchased my machine.

Happy Quilting!
Old 07-26-2015, 01:59 PM

I am back from vacation now but still doing laundry and cleanup, so no sewing yet.
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, advice and experiences, I appreciate the info!
I did get the stitch regulator, but I hope I can become consistent enough to sew without it eventually.

The table is bigger than it looks but folds down to a very manageable 28" x 36". Open is 5' x 3' and the doors support the side extensions. A smooth plastic overlay covers the seams of the extensions. When the doors are open, there is dead space about 20" square behind the open doors, so I am going to look for some storage units to fit.
The builtin storage is minimal, there are 6 small swing-out plastic bins to hold small things.
Also came with a bobbin winder.

I need to pull out a UFO for my first practice session! I will try to post some pictures of my learning process.