Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grace Cutie Frame? >

Grace Cutie Frame?

Grace Cutie Frame?

Old 04-20-2023, 08:21 PM

Default Grace Cutie Frame?

I found myself looking on Amazon at the Grace Cutie Quilt frame and wondering if it was worth the money. Does anyone have one or know someone who has one. I was reading reviews and there seemed to be a common problem of having to constantly adjust their quilt because the area they could quilt on was limited with their machine. I quilt my quilts on my Brother machine but wondered if this was any good.
Old 04-21-2023, 03:24 AM

I don't but my friend does, she has a machine with a 12" throat so she doesn't have to adjust her quilt as much as some people do who have a 8" throat. She said it has a lot of plastic parts and it's not the highest quality but she loves it. She only makes charity quilts and she purchased it when it was on sale around Christmas time for $489. including shipping. She also belongs to a cutie Facebook page which she said was a lot of help when she got hers.
Old 04-21-2023, 05:07 AM
mkc

If you're on Facebook, search Marketplace for a gently used one. I see these small frames all the time at 25-50% less than new. There's a couple of FB groups specifically dedicated to longarms and accessories for sale.

The primary reason for selling one - exactly what you describe. The actual quilting area is small, and you have to reposition the quilt sandwich often.
Old 04-21-2023, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

It is a lot less trouble using the Cutie frame then doing edge to edge with an embroidery machine. I took a class to do the E2E and it as so tedious to do that. I ordered one when it first came out but due to shipping problems I canceled. I did get to use one. A regular machine with the Cutie works fine for edge to edge. I do loops and swirls big enough to fill up the allowed space in one pass. Reposition and do again. Over and over. Not much time to get get a quilting rhythm going. The frame is easy to use,
Old 04-21-2023, 06:11 AM

I bought my Cutie frame a year ago and it is a learning process. I have my Juki TL2010 on my frame and while I only have about 6" and have to rehoop often it is a lot easier to use than pushing the quilt around under the needle. Like Onebyone said you get a rhythm going and I timed myself on repositioning quilt and it took me around 3 minutes. If you have limited space or money this is a good option as I can quilt any size quilt on my frame (yes even a king). Most people who buy and then sell a Cutie do so because they trade up for a larger frame which is not an option for me as I don't have space for anything larger. I have my frame on my dining table which means when we have guests over I need to be able to move and store frame and machine. The frame is light weight and takes less than a few minutes to move from table to behind a chair in the den (3X3 space), the heaviest is the machine at around 25lbs which is reason I have not bought a machine with a larger thorat space, I looked at a Quniqe 15 Pro and it weight 42 lbs and I knew I wouldn't be able to move it myself. If you're thinking of buying one check out the Cuties Quilters Facebook page and if possible find a LQS or quilt show and try one out and that includes try rehooping the quilt on the frame. All said and done I love my Cutie frame but will admit that it is not for everyone.