Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Granddaughter's FIRST project >

Granddaughter's FIRST project

Granddaughter's FIRST project

Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 AM

wonderful!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by LouBert
My daughter has NO interest in sewing, and I'm trying to get my 8 yr old granddaughter to sew. This is her first project using the 'big girl' sewing machine. She sewed every single seam and stuff it.
^5 to the grand!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:02 AM

When my daughters were about 9 or 10 I tried to teach them how to sew. One really liked it and made several short sets for herself. The other didn't show much interest in it, but I nudged her to try." She said she wanted to sew." When I pulled a very easy pattern out and told her to cut the paper edge off she didn't want to cut. She just wanted to "sew" so I cut it out. When we got ready to pin the pattern down she didn't want to pin down. She wanted to "sew". So I did the pinning. When we got ready to cut the fabric out she didn't want to cut.She wanted to "sew". So I cut it out. She stitched the first two pieces together and made a seam that was too wide. I told her she would have to "rip". She said she only wanted to "sew". I finished the whole project and that was the end of her sewing lessons!
There is a moral to this. The girls are 28 and 34 years old now. They live out of town but come in with their husbands for Christmas. Two years ago I bought both of them a sewing machine as their Christmas gift. The oldest daughter who was interested in sewing years ago hasn't taken hers out of the box yet. The youngest who only wanted to "sew" made everyone a handmade gift for Christmas this year on her machine and now wants to get into quilting! GO FIGURE!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 AM

Good job! A new quilter is born....
Old 06-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

What a wonderful grandmother you are to teach your granddaughter to sew. I can't wait until Zoe is old enough and hope she will have an interest in sewing, she just turned one last month. My daughter showed no interest in sewing until her Sr. year in high school. She was out sick with chicken pox, believe it or not, don't know how she missed it all those years. She was bored, so one day she asked me to help her make a quilt for college. BUT, she didn't want a quilt like the ones I made, she wanted just squares and every one had to be different. We had a lot of fun pulling out my stash of fabric, so she wound up with fabric from clothes I had sewn her, doll fabrics, etc., etc. I tried to teach her how to sew the squares together from a design board, came home and found she had sewn the blocks together and somehow wound up with a huge, gaping hole in the middle. Guess Mom needed to refine her teaching methods. I got it quilted two weeks after she started college and never told her that she had two squares the same and she has never found them. She still doesn't sew, but she makes lots of requests for table runners, shower curtains, etc., for her apt. as well as gifts for her friends who are having babies. She does tell people what a great quilter I am, so that's something. Keep up the good work. My mother taught me to sew in first grade and I have never stopped, over 55 years later.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:11 PM

Wow! That's a really well made pillow. She did a fantastic job.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:42 PM

Tell her she did a wonderful job!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:04 PM

Wonderful job and a beautiful pillow!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:11 PM

Very cute!! She did a good job!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

I guess it's all in the timing. My daughter said she was looking for a sewing machine a few years back and I found one for free at the local incinerator. They have a "swap" section where people put items too good to throw away and they are free for the taking. I got a nice Brother, still in the box, showing little wear. Well, my Janome decided to take a hissy fit, so I used the Brother, and she told me to keep it. Last year a friend of mine was at the incinerator and brought me a Sears Kenmore - vintage about the same as my Janome with almost all the bells and whistles that I had, so now I have 3 portable sewing machines. I did have one very old Stradivaro, made in Japan, that weighed a ton that I left at the incinerator. I just didn't need it and it was way too heavy to lift and it had given me some very good years. Also had a Singer and a Kenmore in cabinets, gave the Singer to my sister's granddaughter and the Kenmore to my daughter-in-law, as she liked the cabinet. She has a standing invitation to be taught to sew if she desires, we'll see. As I said, it's all in the timing.