Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandma's quilt-top advise. >

Grandma's quilt-top advise.

Grandma's quilt-top advise.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:25 PM

Personally I think the zigzag stitch would look good on all those triangles--if you want to machine stitch it. Hand quilting would be the way grandmother would have done it but since she didn't I think the way you choose to do it is up to you--the zigzag would certainly firm up any loose stitching just be careful not to stretch since I'm sure there are bias edges joined in some of the triangles. I have wanted to do an all triangle scrappy quilt but am afraid of the bias edges and distortion, lucky you that yours is already made for you. Very pretty too.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:30 PM

You know, the zig-zag makes me think of crazy quilts, and this one is not that...it's...I dunno...*special* from your *grandma*, kwim?

Someone suggested handquilting, which I think would be divine because it gives you time to "be with" the quilt and memories of your grandma (whether she's here, or she's already passed on).

And, your meandering looks great. Keep practicing. You could use that as well on your quilt.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:32 PM

These are machine quilted. She had an industrial machine that she used to sew parachutes on among owning other machines. Hand quilting is an ideal. Will have to check that out too.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
You know, the zig-zag makes me think of crazy quilts, and this one is not that...it's...I dunno...*special* from your *grandma*, kwim?

Someone suggested handquilting, which I think would be divine because it gives you time to "be with" the quilt and memories of your grandma (whether she's here, or she's already passed on).

And, your meandering looks great. Keep practicing. You could use that as well on your quilt.
I don't know the first thing about hand quilting. Guess I will have to hit the library and youtube. Hand quilting will take time, and yes agree about the memories. That is all I have done since I looked at the quilts.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:37 PM

I like the zigzag....it gives it character.....and is pretty easy to accomplish too......please don't be too hard on yourself and your fmq skills.....it takes lots of practice to make beautiful patterns, but even basic stippling can be difficult at first.....I didn't see anything in what you have done that is real bad....keep going....and breathe!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
I like the zigzag....it gives it character.....and is pretty easy to accomplish too......please don't be too hard on yourself and your fmq skills.....it takes lots of practice to make beautiful patterns, but even basic stippling can be difficult at first.....I didn't see anything in what you have done that is real bad....keep going....and breathe!
LOLLLLLLLLLLLL....I read somewhere on this board where someone told another beginner to "breathe". I had to remind myself while trying it today! Thanks for the chuckle!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ghetohound
These are machine quilted. She had an industrial machine that she used to sew parachutes on among owning other machines. Hand quilting is an ideal. Will have to check that out too.
You mean machine pieced, right? A *lot* of machine pieced quilts have been hand quilted. I'm kind of with the hand quilting crowd on this one.....
Old 08-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

Pretty
Old 08-29-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by Ghetohound
You mean machine pieced, right? A *lot* of machine pieced quilts have been hand quilted. I'm kind of with the hand quilting crowd on this one.....
LOLLL...yes....pieced!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:29 PM

I looked at your FMQ and I think it is good enough
to try on your grandmothers quilt. Go for it girl!!!
Don't be so hard on yourself. You have a great
talent for sewing.