Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandma's quilt-top advise. >

Grandma's quilt-top advise.

Grandma's quilt-top advise.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:13 AM

I like the FMQ you have done, and also the zig zag, but if it were my quilt top, (given its age, and sentimental value) I would hand quilt. Looks like it is begging to be hand quilted! :lol:
Old 08-30-2011, 06:14 AM

I thought your FMQ looked fine. Do YOU like the look of the zig zag? Go with what YOU like. And don't let yourself feel rushed. If you feel you need more FMQ practice, then take the time until you are absolutely comfortably doing Gran's quilt. Or any other method, for that matter. Unless you actually have a deadline, don't impose one on yourself. Above all, honor the quilt.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:27 AM

For a beginner your machine quilting doesn't look bad at all! As you keep at it, and maybe watch some of the 1000's of YouTube videos about machine quiting - stippling - meandering, you'll pick up more tips all along. I recall seeing one tut. that refered to making "micky mouse ears" as part of the scrolling design, and it was great. I've been trying to locate it for you, but so far no luck. I'll keep looking :!: ;-) I do machine quilt with my Viking machine, and every quilt I look at as a learning experience, and can see changes from one to the next, but that doesn't mean the first one isn't just as valuable to me or the recipient as the others. I'm just honest - I keep practicing, just like doctors "practice medicine" :lol: I'm sure your grandmother got better as time went on, and she would be very proud of all you do.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:29 AM

It will be a nice Keepsake. J J
Old 08-30-2011, 07:34 AM

I think your FMQ is great. Mine should look that good.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:05 AM

On the fmq picture, in each row I was trying a different "way" of doing it. Smaller, wider...longer etc just to get a feel. I have another to practice on!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:14 AM

Oh my gosh! What a wonderful heirloom.

I personally do not think of "zig zag" when I think of an antique quilt. I think it would look so much more "in tune" with hand quilting. I have done hand quilting and love it. It is so relaxing. Why not try a little on a sample block? You might find the peace and calm in hand quilting that so many others have. I think Grandma would love it done this way. Just my opinion.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 AM

This is just my opinion, you do anything you want of course...

I have 3 quilts my grandma made and I have decided to hand quilt those tops.. I do machine quilting on most of mine, and on baby quilts. But to have a quilt from your grandma makes it very very special.. I've had these quilt tops for years and I have gotten quilted 2 of them by hand... It's worth it to spend the time to do the hand quilting. Machine quilt all the quilts you want and work on the hand quilting whenever you can. I personally think it's important to keep that quilt top special.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:21 AM

This is one you want to get right by what is in your heart. Practice more on something else, and do FMQ a little bit at a time on this heirloom. Put it down after working on it a bit. Then keep going back to it until it is done. I personally would not put it away. You won't regret it.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:57 AM

Since she machine pieced the top, I don't think it would hurt to machine quilt it. Make up a few sandwiches of material and batting and practice till you are happy with it. What you have done so far with the meander is looking pretty good, it won't take you long to get the hang of it. Its almost a "feel" when you get going. Good luck with it