Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmothers flower garden quilt...do's and don'ts! >

Grandmothers flower garden quilt...do's and don'ts!

Grandmothers flower garden quilt...do's and don'ts!

Old 04-20-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleBecca
Originally Posted by granniebj
Ok...So I'm gonna start this quilt. Did alot of reading online and got some mix messages, such as the first 2 sites all recommended card stock for the middle....the next said card stock doesn't work. Guess its a preference thing. Have you made this quilt and do you have any advice? I'm doing it all by hand so that I can take it to my daughters to work on. I needed something that would travel well without the need for a machine.
~Bj~
I cant get on with paper - I tried a few times - I prefer a card and so I use index cards. I have used the backs of greetings cards too - that worked Ok - but is a bit tougher on the fingers!

A word though - I reuse my cards - I know some people like all new for every hexagon. once I have sorounded a hexagon on all sides I take out the middle one (if that makes sense?)

I think this is 'the worng way' to do it -but I have made several quilts using this method and have not found them 'mishaped' at all!

You will love this work - it fits in well with travel!
This how I'm doing it, the centers come out to be reused, the only paper (cardboard) left in is the outside row, however rows you chose to do.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:09 PM

I have done this one in queen size by hand, and used copy paper......no problem doing it this way.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-32542-1.htm
Old 04-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I got my hexagons from paper piecing and reuse them :thumbup: It is addicting :wink:
Old 04-20-2010, 05:41 PM

I pieced mine the old fashioned way--traced around the template, cut them and marked the 1/4 in dot on each corner and hand sewed them. English Paper Piecing would never work for me--I would never feel like they would stay together good enough for using on a bed. Either way, it's a beautiful old fashioned pattern!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:42 PM

I have a 2" hexagon GFG in progress. I use freezer paper & Kaye Wood's 60 degree ruler to cut the freezer paper & strips of fabric. Here is a link to a pdf file explaing her method: http://www.kayewood.com/tips/hexagons.pdf

I pin the fabric onto the freezer paper instead of thread basting it and I remove the pins and papers when they get surrounded by others. The freezer paper does get floppy after a while but it's good for 5 or 6 rounds at least.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by granniebj
Ok...So I'm gonna start this quilt. Did alot of reading online and got some mix messages, such as the first 2 sites all recommended card stock for the middle....the next said card stock doesn't work. Guess its a preference thing. Have you made this quilt and do you have any advice? I'm doing it all by hand so that I can take it to my daughters to work on. I needed something that would travel well without the need for a machine.
~Bj~
I cant get on with paper - I tried a few times - I prefer a card and so I use index cards. I have used the backs of greetings cards too - that worked Ok - but is a bit tougher on the fingers!

A word though - I reuse my cards - I know some people like all new for every hexagon. once I have sorounded a hexagon on all sides I take out the middle one (if that makes sense?)

I think this is 'the worng way' to do it -but I have made several quilts using this method and have not found them 'mishaped' at all!

You will love this work - it fits in well with travel!
This is the same way I'm doing mine. It seems to work best for me. I love the fact that it's portable.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ginaky
I pieced mine the old fashioned way--traced around the template, cut them and marked the 1/4 in dot on each corner and hand sewed them. English Paper Piecing would never work for me--I would never feel like they would stay together good enough for using on a bed. Either way, it's a beautiful old fashioned pattern!
LOL! tacking over paper and whip stitching IS the old fashioned way in England!! Hee hee

I like the post that says - ask 30 people and you get 30 answers!!!

And we are all right!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:41 PM

I like the post that says - ask 30 people and you get 30 answers!!!

And we are all right!
Very true, I think you just have to try different methods until you find one that suits you. :-)
Old 04-21-2010, 02:08 AM
Administrator

i print my hexagons directly onto the back of my fabrics and then cut them out. they can either be fussy cut with scissors or with a rotary cutter and ruler.

because my prints include the stitching lines and clipping marks, i can use them for both hand and machine piecing.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i print my hexagons directly onto the back of my fabrics and then cut them out. they can either be fussy cut with scissors or with a rotary cutter and ruler.

because my prints include the stitching lines and clipping marks, i can use them for both hand and machine piecing.
I am intrigued??? How do you print - what with?? Curious!