Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmothers flower garden quilt...do's and don'ts! >

Grandmothers flower garden quilt...do's and don'ts!

Grandmothers flower garden quilt...do's and don'ts!

Old 04-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Google Goddess

video to watch how to cut your templates from food boxes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB2krboL-FU
Old 04-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Google Goddess

this is the link to show you a tutorial on grandmothers flower garden with those plastic templates

http://www.hesowsshesews.com/2009/10...-tutorial.html

Originally Posted by granniebj
Ok...So I'm gonna start this quilt. Did alot of reading online and got some mix messages, such as the first 2 sites all recommended card stock for the middle....the next said card stock doesn't work. Guess its a preference thing. Have you made this quilt and do you have any advice? I'm doing it all by hand so that I can take it to my daughters to work on. I needed something that would travel well without the need for a machine.
~Bj~
Old 04-20-2010, 02:06 PM

Wow Thanks ladies! I'm gonna check out all the sites and then just go for it! Loved the advice! I made a plastic template of the whole hexagon...used that to draw on freezer paper and then use the freezer paper to cut out the material. A lady told me that that way all hers came out the same size....so I wanted to check out other ways too! I bought card stock for the middle of the hexagon, but not sure if I'll be happy with that...so anyway....Thanks for all the advice!
~Bj~
Old 04-20-2010, 02:20 PM

cut and paste this to see hexagons already cut - I have bought from this lady and she is very good. I used her already-cut-out hexagon paper for my avitar table runner.
Good luck,

http://cgi.ebay.com/500-Die-Cut-Hexa...item20b08cccf0
Old 04-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Banned

depends on whether you are doing English Paper Piecing or the old fashioned way the grandmothers did - cut the hexagons, mark the sewing lines and hand stitch. Paper templates is not the only way.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

I use the wrapping paper of photocopier paper ie A4 size x 500 sheets. You can iron on the shiny side and reuse it many times. Tip. Do not use the glue part as it will stick to your iron.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:51 PM

If you ask 30 different people for advise, you will get 30 different answers, and they would all be correct. I will tell you how I do it. I am working on my 2nd GFG as we speak. I do english paper piecing, 1 inch hex's. I print them from a site on the internet. I cut them out myself. I'm sure the precut would be wonderful, but I'm cheap! I use scrap paper from junk mail a lot. That seems to be pretty good paper. Print on the back sides. I guess in the "olden" days, they even used letters, newspapers, catalog pages etc. I would be afraid of newsprint. I believe I have cut probably at least 5000 hex's in the past couple years!!! (maybe more. I didn't count!) The papers need to be accurate. I don't worry to much about the fabric being cut that accurately. I cut 2 1-2 inch strips then into squares. Pin the papers to the fab. and clip the corners. I fold the allowence over and catch at the corners, and also take one stitch on each stright side. Seems to stableize the fab. Whip stitch the hex's together. I remove the papers after I have completely sorounded the middle hex. I use the papers over when I can. Sometimes they will tear a bit when removes, so don't use them of course. I believe there is a site that gives very good instructions. sunshinecreations.com or something like that. I'll see if I can find it and post. Good luck with your GFG. Be warned, it is addicting!!! Have fun. http://sunshinescreations.vintagethr...r-piecing.html This is the right sight. I do mine just like hers, only add the one stitch on each stright side. That is easly removed by cliping the stitch from the front. I leave all the threads.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:53 PM

I bought a heavy duty lucite template with a little pattern, traced my sewing lines, cut out with 1/4 allowance and sewed them together that way.
I guess that might be the old fashioned way...:)
Old 04-20-2010, 03:21 PM

I guess I will add my own two cents. lol

I print all my (3/4inch) hexagons on 24lb "heavy weight" printer paper. It is a little thicker than normal printing paper but not as thick as card stock. I then cut them out with an X-acto knife. Then I punch a hole in the center and use an Elmers glue stick to glue it to the center of a 2" square of fabric, for some reason I can't use pins to hold the paper in place while I am basting them. I make a BUNCH of these up at one time stick them in a zip lock bag with a pair of snipps, thread and needles. Then I am ready to go and its fast to grab as I am heading out the door or whatever!

I put the hole in the center so it is easier to pull the paper out once you are done sewing everything together. All you have to do is stick a toothpick in the whole and flip it out of there!

Good luck with whatever way you decide to do it.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
I did hexagons and went ahead and bought the middles. I read too many places where if you cut them yourself they might not always be exact and then they whole thing goes wonky. This is where I bought mine http://www.paperpieces.com/index1.html but also have seen them in my LQS. I really enjoyed doing it, but I like hand work. Hope you enjoy it too.
I have also just started a Grandmother's Garden Quilt. I am using 1" hexagons. Couldn't get the templates, but I do have EQ5 so I printed my own, and will continue to do that.

I also printed the hexagon with the seam allowance (I used a touch more than a quarter inch), and made a master template using plastic so I could fussy cut easily.
When I cut I run the pencil around the inside of the template as well, which gives me the position of the hexagon when I place it on the fabric.

I used index dividers, which will go through my printer; then marked the middle of the each hexagon and punched a hole in the middle of each hex.

My concern also was that the hexagons would get rough round the edges and become inaccurate if I re-used them. I have so far made six "flowers". Some of the hexs have been used at least twice with no problem so far. When they start to get a bit tatty I will simply get rid of them and print some more.

I also have left the outside ring (the background in my case) in, so I lose 19 with each flower.

So far so good. Hope this helps.