Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Granny Mary's Quilt >

Granny Mary's Quilt

Granny Mary's Quilt

Old 02-08-2012, 07:50 AM

I'm so sorry this has happened to you and espically Mary, a labryinth is a fast pattern but I fear it would go missing also its sad but it so often happens to our loved ones If you have a quilt in your home with health issues failing I would take that to her.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 AM

Have you taken a walk around and peeked into the rooms? Not uncommon for other patient to shoplift them. Some just see something pretty and take the stuff.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by lenette View Post
Have you taken a walk around and peeked into the rooms? Not uncommon for other patient to shoplift them. Some just see something pretty and take the stuff.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes.... every room has been searched and the Laundry deny ever having seen it so it has obviously gone walkabout!

I want to make her another as she just love holding on to something... it is comforting for her!

The nursing home have suggested that as a gesture of goodwill they will pay for the materials to make another.... so I will eventually send them the bill for the fabrics!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 02-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

What a shame. If your MIL's health is declining quickly, and you want to get something to her TODAY, then you might consider <gasp> buying a soft and beautiful throw, rather than making a quilt. If it gets lost/stolen, you can just buy another, and she will still have something to hold and enjoy. At this stage of her life, I think she will appreciate the love behind the gift and seeing that you care, and the difference between something hand made and store-bought will not matter.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 AM

Caroline. I'm so sorry this happened to you and Granny's quilt. It just boggles my mind that in a nursing home of all places, people feel they can take what they want, knowing it's not theirs to take, and take it from some elderly person who really needs the comfort of that item. My heart goes out to you.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 AM

A snowball 9-patch is fast and pretty too. I also think the Yellow Brick Road Is a fast one. I'm sorry her quilt was lost. The same thing happened to an afghan I crocheted for my mother. It is upsetting, but it happens a lot.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:53 AM

Well for starters the facility clearly has a security issue , that should not be taken lightly by the staff. I would inform the adminisration if the staff has not already done so. There should be some kind of camera used for security purposes. if you know the dates that the quilt was last seen . I would ask that the least they should do is review those tapes from the time period. Some might be reluctant to use manpower this way ... but it is a theft and should be treated as such. It it begs the question as to other issues in the facility if this is not treated seriously.
At mimimum there should be compensation for your materials, though that hardly is the real issue.
An interesting note is that this happened when you Granny was in a declining condition, and it sure would appear that someone took advantage of the situation, which would also be of great concern to the administration.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:03 PM

have you called in the police yet? theft is theft!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Liz92B View Post
have you called in the police yet? theft is theft!
Hi Liz,

The Nursing Home have said that there is no point in calling the police as they have bigger things to worry about....!

DH said that he is worried that there may be a thief working with vunerable people!

I will wait to see what they have to say in a day or so!

Hugs

Caroline

P.S. To everybody else.... thank you for caring about Granny Mary!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

Every time I hear of this sort of theft my blood pressure boils. Don't you wish you could put a theft sensor (like dept stores) on things that would go off with thousands of volts of electricity if someone tried to walk off with it.

My suggestion would be to make her a quilted shawl.

Prayers to you and your family.