Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Granny Mary's Quilt >

Granny Mary's Quilt

Granny Mary's Quilt

Old 02-10-2012, 01:40 PM

So sorry this happened! Sadly it is all too common a story. I too worry about our most vulnerable loved ones being fair prey for some immoral, despicable people. Most nursing home employees are angels from God but occasionally a bad apple gets in. You got some good suggestions on quick-together quilts. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

What a shame someone would stoop so low. I've heard to not take anything of value to a hospital or nursing home. We have heard around here the weddings rings have been stolen off the fingers. I would never want to go there.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:17 PM

It is truly sad to read some of these posts and to realize that a place we would think would be nurturing can have unkind and untrustworthy people.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by emsgranny View Post
This happened to us with a quilt for my dad - His nursing home was quite helpful in that we looked in the laundry and then peered into the other patients rooms - we finally tracked it down - someone else had taken the label off and then used permanent marker to write their name on it lol Luckily he had been there long enough that the aids knew it was his quilt and was able to get it back - good luck and prayers for Granny coming your way

I realize that the quilt is special especially now that she is getting sicker - If you dont have time for another one make her a couple of nice pillow cases - just a suggestion
Same here: prayers for Granny and her family AND for the one responsible for causing Granny's quilt to be missing. Yes, a search is indeed on thing that the "home" could do. I can't believe that person was so arrogant! Seems like someone needs to talk to her.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:40 PM

when my MIL was in a nursing home, we found out that a lot of stuff is just shared. socks, are socks, blouses are blouses, etc. some of those ole folks would have nothing unless they wore what others 'left' after they weren't needed by the former patient.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:08 PM

I would take a walk around the nursing home and peer into other patients rooms. Sometimes folks in nursing homes 'like' something and just take it for their own. Not stealing because those that do this no longer know right from wrong...unless the 'wrong' is done to them!

You have my sympathy on the decline of Granny Mary. It's difficult to watch and be helpless at the same time.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:16 PM

Except that the quilt might have been taken by another patient who doesn't even know that he/she took something that belongs to someone else.

My MILs clothes would go missing - and I'd see someone else walking around in them. They always found their way back because of the labels in them.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:36 PM

the quilt should have been listed on her Personal Belongings Sheet in her file. Since the quilt is missing then I would file a Police Report... there are Light fingered employees that are working there that should be punished and fired..
It is a CRIME to steal and I would make it known that you are contacting the police or Sheriff...The person who did the stealing if they are CNA or STNA and are caught they will Loose their License...
If your Granny is declining in Health then make another easy quilt and Tie it... Take Several photos of it with her and put a photo in her file... and you keep the other photos... or if she climbs Heaven's steps before you get it done then make Lap robes for others in the nursing home... Make sure you note the Date you gave her the Quilt on the picture and have the Social Worker or DON or Administrator stand and hold the quilt with Granny and take the photo...
Its a SHAME that who ever took it was that desperate to Steal a Treasured item and may it never keep them warm...
Old 02-12-2012, 03:44 PM

Exclamation

The Nursing Home I worked in had some Family members visiting with their loved ones and took them on a ride down the hall, a Nursing Assistant had the nerve to steal money out of their purse, so a Trap was set and the next time the lady visited her mother and left the room the same Aide went in and took $$ again ...well she ended up with the Purple stuff allover her hands and clothes from the Special stuff they put in there... and she was easily identified...She couldn't wash the stuff off her hands... oh Gee she even touched her face.... and she was fired...