Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Granny Mary's Quilt >

Granny Mary's Quilt

Granny Mary's Quilt

Old 02-09-2012, 03:11 PM

Here's a helpful link just in case you don't locate it: http://lostquilt.com/index.php/tag/blue/.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:24 PM

You were lucky to get the Nursing home to agree to pay for the materials needed to make Grandma Mary a new quilt. I made a very special quilt for Lola, my daughter's grandmother-in-law. Before my daughter had a chance to give her the quilt, Lola, an Alzheimer's patient, was put in a nursing. The family was warned not to bring anything that was irreplaceable, as they are not responsible for loss or theft. Now, that special Alzheimer's quilt that I spent so many hours making sits unused in the box in my daughter's closet. Lola will never benefit from all the helps I sewed into the quilt just for her.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM

That was such a lovely quilt it is shameless that somebody would take it from a person who is in her condition. She is surrounded with love and caring people. Whatever you decide to make for her will give her comfort just know how much you care.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:58 PM

While my dad was in a rehab/nursing facility, there was a patient who roamed around taking things from patients rooms. The staff usually retrieved missing items. Ask them to notify day and night staff to look for quilt.

If it can't be located, try making a big block quilt. It is just a gigantic version of your favorite easy block. Or, make one with 6 big blocks - 2 x 3 about 15" to 18" each, with one or two borders, if needed.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 PM

I'm so sorry that Granny Mary's quilt is missing. Unfortunately, a lot of nursing homes have employees who are "less than honest". If an employee takes something that does not belong to him/her, they would probably not confess and return the quilt. There is really nothing they can do except reimburse you for the cost of making a new quilt ---I would also charge them something for your labor. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:24 PM

I would post pics everywhere on the floors near her room. Most of the time it is an employee who takes it. My brother-in-law and his wife are both in a home here and his engraved watch that he received at his retirement has been missing for months. It is really sad that the workers in the home have to resort to stealing. I would have a policeman come in with a search warrant, he or she can be in plain clothes, and just search. Maybe if that is done some of this stealing will stop. Make sure you post the pics.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:37 PM

Hi There, Sorry that you are having this trouble. Someone well just take the next quilt you make. Why don't you just buy a store one for her as long as she is in the nursing home.Handquilter
Old 02-10-2012, 01:08 AM
QM
Power Poster

It is unfortunately NOT uncommon for this to happen. My sister lost 2 this way. One was recovered. She suspected a staff member took the other. I would make another, but do less time consuming work on it. After all, you do want her to be comforted under your loving quilt. I would be inclined to use the same basic pattern, but just very quick quilting.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 AM

When my mother in law was in nursing home, the nursing assistants would take her diapers and use them on other patients so they wouldn't have to change their wet sheets. A kind nurse who befriended my SIL would store her diapers in the trunk of her car and use them as needed.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:37 AM

Sorry to hear your quilt is missing. My mother, aunt, uncle and down the line were in nursing homes. We learned to give things that were nice and made them happy, but not a terrible loss if gone missing. We bought both my mother and aunt a quilt in a retail store, twin size, for about $30. They were happy with it and the quilts never got stolen. OR You could make a block pattern that is easy, but with something she enjoys, maybe large flowers - maybe a snowball pattern.

This is funny, but it did happen. My aunt kept having her false teeth taken. After 3 new sets we finally had to give up and not replace them. The dentist even engraved her name in them. We never found any of them. Some residents are so lonesome they take what they normally would'nt take, they don't have family that come to see them or give them something, it is really sad.

Last edited by jmabby; 02-10-2012 at 09:39 AM.