Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Granny Mary's Quilt >

Granny Mary's Quilt

Granny Mary's Quilt

Old 02-09-2012, 10:08 AM

Nursing homes are famous for having sticky fingers. It could be one of the hired help or even another lady in the home. Quilts aren't the only thing taken, so don't give anything that is expensive like gold or silver jewelry. At this late date I would just buy a Wal-mart quilt or make her a quick scrappy one from some of your left overs.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:10 AM

Oh, that is too bad. Hard to see how anyone could enjoy a quilt stolen from a Granny in a NH. If another resident took it the staff will find it sooner or later....if a staff member took it, someone knows where it is. Best wishes to your precious Granny.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:18 AM

Sorry to hear about the quilt.

I grew up in Ipswich and my family still lives there.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:23 AM

You spent a lot of time being sure this quilt turned out so lovely.... the way the flowers set,, the quilting design in the solid square... this is a tradgedy.... The world is quickly filling with heartless , greedy people... Be happy if you did get to see her face when you gave it to her,, and just remember that people like the person who helped Granny Mary "lose" her quilt.. will have to answer eventually... How about a disappearing 9 patch quilt,, i hear they are quick.. i love the "quick jelly roll quilt",, but that is all "horizontal".. good luck..and God Bless...
Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 AM

Quilt in a Day has a very quick quilt called "Tossed 9 Patch. I have made it a couple of times using layer cake (10 in squares) instead of the original charm squares.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:58 AM

I would suggest a really soft flannel rag quilt, it is quilt as you go, and do it in super comfy feel flannel in some soft colors . Hope you can get it done for her.
Rita
Old 02-09-2012, 12:32 PM

Personally, I would BUY a quilt in a store and give it to her. She will LOVE it as you gave it to her. Then, WHEN it is missing AGAIN, you won't feel so badly. It happens all of the time unfortunately.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 PM

Learned many years ago when my mother was in a nursing home in order to keep her clothing in her room (and in the nursing home) to take black marker and write "Property Of" in large letters on the backside of the dress. Nobody could see it when she was in her wheelchair, and nobody wanted to wear it in public. If you make another quilt, I would suggest writing in large letters about 4" high across the top of the quilt "STOLEN FROM". That way when you bring the quilt home you can applique a wide border (or maybe a hanging sleeve) across that area.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 PM

This happened to me too but was told to check with the laundry dept. which I did and was so please they found it sitting on the shelf. Give it a try.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by lenette View Post
Have you taken a walk around and peeked into the rooms? Not uncommon for other patient to shoplift them. Some just see something pretty and take the stuff.
I was going to suggest the same thing...but I see you have already done that...
My Gt. Aunt's quilt did the same thing...even with her name and room # embroidered into the front of the quilt. Another lady had taken it away from my Aunt.
Hope that this gets resolved quickly...best wishes.