Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Granny Mary's Quilt >

Granny Mary's Quilt

Granny Mary's Quilt

Old 02-08-2012, 01:43 PM

I'm so sorry this happened. I can't imagine how you must feel. I made a quilt for my Mom last year and she keeps it on the back of the couch in her assisted living apartment. I don't think she uses it as a quilt since its very warm in her room. I would be heart broken if something happened to it.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:53 PM

So sorry to hear about Grannys missing quilt and her declining health. Perhaps make a new quilt using a panel as the center and then go from there. You could finish this in an evening.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:16 PM

hugs and prayers, don't have a good answer for you sorry. You have a kind heart so any thing you do will be the right thing.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:22 PM

This has happened to use with everything from nylon night gowns to fleece throws with her name embroidered in 2" letters. We now take pictures of everything and have them include it in MILs file. It at least verifies what was there and what is now missing. SIL gave her mom a nightie (expensive one) when she was there and it disappeared before Mom got to wear it that night. I think the lack of accountability is just terrible.

Make Granny Mary another quilt and include family pictures on both sides -- and have her name on both sides -- that way it will be less attractive to folks with light fingers. (I made MIL a pillow several years ago with family pictures and although the staff have complimented her on the pillow, it is the one handmade thing that has not disappeard.)
Old 02-08-2012, 04:19 PM

I am so sorry that happened to you and Granny Mary. It is just so incredible, but some people would steal the eyes out of your head if they could get away with it. I think I would have a very hard time leaving anything of value (sentimental or monetary) there in the future. If it were me, I don't think I could make and leave another quilt with her there. I'd go for a nice blanket. Too bad. Just too bad and too sad. But remember that whatever we put out into this world, both good and bad, returns to us tenfold. You are a good person, and good will come to you. The thief will also get his/her just reward, in time. Maybe the thief will see the connection when it happens....
Old 02-09-2012, 04:30 AM

I'm so sorry aboutn the quilt disappearing. It's difficult in a nursing home to keep track of items; sadly other residents often get confused about what is theirs, and sometimes it's even a visitor that feels justified in taking something that isn't theirs. I just made a lap quilt using a pattern from The Quilter's Cache. It's "square within a square 2" and is a very fast and easy quilt to make. Makes a checkerboard background and then a 6 1/2" square of a focal fabric in the center.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:54 AM

My Grandmother is in nursing home and I am always finding other residents clothing and other things in her room. I always take them back to the nurses station so when I can't find something of hers I go straight to the station. One day all her panties were missing and she didn't have a pair on. I do her laundry and there was none in the hamper. Go figure. Come to find out she had a accidents and they were in the laundry room. I also fear that one of her quilts will come up missing, she was a quilter and had 3 quilts that she swapped out on her bed at home. So when she went to nursing home, I put one on her bed there and keep the other 2 at my house. I rotate them when they need to be washed.

I am so sorry to hear that Granny is not doing well. I hope that it is ok to share a little personal info about my Grandmother here. She also quit eating and drinking. She told the dr. that she had not given up, so she adjusted some of her meds and gave her appetite stimulate. 2 days later I go to visit and she is sitting in chair drooling and can't wake up. I called for help to get her to bed and she was lifeless. I had them call for ambulance to transport her to ER. By this point she did not even know who she was. Well, come to find out she was severly hydrated and had an urinary infection that had gone septic. She is better now. So if your Granny has urinary problems might be something to check on. BTW - I told the dr. I thought she was dehydrated and asked her if a urinary tract infection might be the problem - but what do I know.

I will keep Granny and your family in my prayers and thoughts. Please don't stress over this quilt being lost and just focus on enjoying the time you have left with Granny. (hugs)
Old 02-09-2012, 05:21 AM

This is not the first time I have heard of this kind of thing happening at nursing facilities.
Either some other resident or staff has taken it.
I insured the quilt I gave my in-laws for just this purpose and then I let it go.
So far so good. It's been over a year and when I visited last, it was still there. I think the main issue is my mother-in-law is still attentive and not "out of it." I just hope the rest of my family down there pays attention and removes the quilt if it appears at risk once Chris is not as independent!

I did decide some time ago that if it's gone, it's gone.
Mean people get their due without my help...
Old 02-09-2012, 05:23 AM

I am so sorry that this happened to you. It just makes me downright angry. Don't have any suggestions for you but wanted to let you know that I so sympathise with you.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 AM

how low can you get, stealing from someone in a nursing home. Maybe you could make her a quick fleece throw, it would be soft and cozy.

The home could address this problem if they cared. It would be very simple to do a sting operation, a hidden camera and a valuable item, say a watch, planted in a room. Then they could fire the thief.
But I really doubt they would ever care enough to do that.