Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Great NewS >

Great NewS

Great NewS

Old 01-23-2011, 09:02 PM

Old 01-24-2011, 05:23 AM

Great, we have a family member who it took 3 + years and they got a whoppen $600 something. SHe has to work for them to just beary surive. Does that mean when he turns 62 if his SS is more he still gets the amount he has now? do not know much about any of this. Except they just drag it out in hopes you will just die and they will not have to pay anything. He has had 5 heart attchs and only has one valve to the heart workingone side of the heart.
Hope you did better.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:29 AM

Hi Connie, I don't know about that either. When you are approved they tell you your covered for X amount of time. A date, and year, and after that time it may change. We'll see. Still have not received the paperwork from the government or anything else. Only a phone call from them to verify our checking/savings account numbers. It's been a learning experience, for sure.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:59 AM

What you collect on SS Disability IS your SS payment if you were able to retire. You will not collect any more $$ when you reach retirment age, except for cost of living raises. All payments are based on your last 10 years pay record. If you did not work a lot due to illness, you get less than if you worked and made the maximum contributions through witholding taxes. On SS Disability I made one quater of what I could have made if I was still working. You put in, and they throw you a bone! No body can live on that money.I have a ?friend? who always reminds me of what I would be earning if I was still working! She always wants me to go on some trip or other with her. I know trips are a thing of the past. You really have to down-size everything. But I still have my computer and internet.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by pjaco
After being off work for 14+ months, husband is finally approved for disability ! I was so scared I already filed our taxes, so I could hurry and get them back. SS even called to verify. Thank you Jesus
Amen, sister!
Old 01-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

It wasn't my intention to indicate anyone on the board receiving disability did not need it. I was just indicating that there are many abuses in disability and any government program. That makes it difficult on those who really need it. I think it is wonderful for those who need it and GOD bless you. I know you would give up the $$'s for your health.

Originally Posted by greenini
Being on SSDI, I kind of resent being lumped in as those who need it don't get it and those who don't do. I am not ever sure if I can get out of bed in the morning and if I do what my pain level is going to be. I have multiple illnesses as do many of us and they all feed each other. I would gladly give us SSDI for good health, trust me.

If you really know cheaters, there must be some way to report them.

I have found that the older you get and the longer you are on SSDI the less they hassle you. I think the feeling is that you are only going to get more ill and older. I finally realized that even if a cure were found tomorrow, I would never be 28 again.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:50 PM

Trust me, no one would go through the hoops they make you jump through just to get this low monthly payment. To be so sick you can barely make it through a day and to have so much worry and stress and mean attitude piled on you on top of your illness is almost more than most people can handle. I know of people who died because of the additional stress before they ever got near to even being denied let alone being approved. I don't believe there are any people on SSDI who aren't not really disabled, the stress is too much. What is sad is how many people there are that are truly disabled and do not collect what is due them because they couldn't take the stress of going through with the process. It is a very sad testament of what our government has become to know the intentional stress they put on the sick in this country. They should be ashamed of themselves in the worst way!

I am so happy for you and your husband to have finally gotten the approval you deserved. It took three years for me to get approval and the depression that the process brought to my life became permanent because it lasted so long. It's a daily battle. God Bless you all, who suffer.