Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Great NewS >

Great NewS

Great NewS

Old 01-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by glennarogers59
I ask for all of your prayers tonight. I have a brother in the Cincinnati area that we are very close. He is dying of Cancer he may not live through the night. I live 3 hrs from him. He wants to see & talk with me. I don,t know how I am going to do this, but I plan to go see him tomorrow. He was the chain that held my whole family together. There are no words to express how much I will miss him.
Thanks to all.
You have mine, God Bless you both.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Dee

We went thru the screwed up process. What makes me mad, SS was like a bank account(so they said) so when you get to retire, you'll have that $ to live on. Well, they used our money and we had nothing to say about our bank acct., now all gone. Disability is a joke. They keep losing the paperwork. Good luck. You eventually will get it. Had to vent.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 PM

My husband was denied twice, and the third time with our attorney he was finally awarded, but it took over 2 years. The sad fact is that my husband was officially awareded Social Security in 1968 after losing his leg in Vietnam and being hospitalized for 2 years with the military. SS told him they had to wait until he was released from the military before they could start paying him, and his social security would be based upon what the military disability gave him. Well,he left the military, started getting his military disability, which wasn't all that great back then, and social security some how lost his records. to make a long story short, when he got his social security disability in 1998 for his heart problems and other health issues, the social security judge was retired military, and advised my husband that they found his records and he was supposed to have been getting ss since 1968. My husband acknowledged that fact and his attorney asked if he was going to get what was kept from him all those years from ss losting his records. The judge reluctantly advised that they could only do 2 years., even though almost 30 years of benefits was what he missed. the problem with ss disability is that it is not going to those who need it or actually earned, but to a lot of dead beats that don't deserve it. I am happy your received your social security diability finally. It was a long time coming. People shouldn't have to beg for what they are entitled to by having earned it.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:26 PM

I think they hope they'll outlive you so you'll go away.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:58 PM

I do know how relieved you are. I was hurt 6 years ago & it took about 2 years to get to court. When I did the judge granted me disabled the day of court instead of the day I was injured. So I was 2 years with 0 income & no back pay. We appealed it but it was denied. I know alot of people abuse the system but they should look back on your history. I worked over 30 years. I wasn't there for a free ride but they make you feel that way. Oh well, I could go on & on about that! LOL Glad your DH finally was granted.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

That is so true. I know of at least 6 different people collecting social security disability who are far more capable of working than I am. I even knew of a man who had his own cabinet business (which he worked in 5 days a week) and still collected disability. I have a former neighbor who has been on disability for 4 years. The doctors have just changed their medicine about 6 months ago. This person told me that the new medicine made them feel so good they could run around the block all day long. I said, "Great. Now you could go back to work". They said, "I could, but I am not going to. Things are good like they are." That is why it is so difficult for those who really need it to get it.

Originally Posted by Mary M
It is sad that those who truly injured and can't work have to wait so long. It is because so many people have abused the system of S.S. that it now hurts the good and honest person. Sure makes a person stop and think to always put something into savings for the rough times.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:44 AM

I get SS disability. I remember when I applied, I had to not only see my dr, attesting to the fact that I could no longer do the job, but, had to see their state dr, and had to drive almost 6 hrs in winter weather to South Jersey where I was first living.
I did at one point give up SS and got a job, I thought I could handle. The boss laid me off right before my 3 mth evaluation. No reason given. It went to appeal, they said that I could not keep up with the work, that was bull dinky. It was because of my disablity. Anyway, I went back to SS and my SS was reinsated, although I had to go through the normal wait period and get a lump sum back payment.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 AM

Happy for you and hope your life gets easier and filled with quilting....

San
Old 01-23-2011, 08:32 AM

Congratz! Now be prepared for a yearly, as my friend puts it, "nasty" letter telling you to prove it or else.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by twinkie
That is so true. I know of at least 6 different people collecting social security disability who are far more capable of working than I am. I even knew of a man who had his own cabinet business (which he worked in 5 days a week) and still collected disability. I have a former neighbor who has been on disability for 4 years. The doctors have just changed their medicine about 6 months ago. This person told me that the new medicine made them feel so good they could run around the block all day long. I said, "Great. Now you could go back to work". They said, "I could, but I am not going to. Things are good like they are." That is why it is so difficult for those who really need it to get it.

Originally Posted by Mary M
It is sad that those who truly injured and can't work have to wait so long. It is because so many people have abused the system of S.S. that it now hurts the good and honest person. Sure makes a person stop and think to always put something into savings for the rough times.
When a person gets disability benefits they are told, they know, that if they return to work, they are supposed to notify SSA. If they don't, SSA doesn't know until IRS posts earnings which sends a flag to SSA. There's a lag time of several months. Then SSA has to have the person supply info about their work. Usually this results in an overpayment of the benefits the person should not have received while at the same time working. Inevitably, the person becomes angry about the overpayment, caused by their own failure to report their work.