Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A great use for clip clothes hangers >

A great use for clip clothes hangers

A great use for clip clothes hangers

Old 01-14-2019, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
As I starch my fabrics beforehand I use these hangers to hang up my starched fabrics to dry. I attached a large dowel rod over my sink down here in the basement sewing room just for that purpose. I also use a folding laundry dryer rack to hang a bunch of strips. This is that old time wooden rack with rods going across on both sides. I started using it when I made my 1st and only bargello as there were plenty of space to put each row in order. Now I've got it out to hold various sections of whatever quilt I'm working on. Folds up when not in use.
That is a great idea for strips also. My mother had one of those wooden racks and I don't know what became of it. Probably went in a yard sale or something. Unfortunately, my sewing space is so small I don't have room for a rack like that even if I found one so it wouldn't work for me. But great idea!
Old 01-15-2019, 05:07 AM

Great idea. What I have used is a folding wood drying rack. Some of you youngsters may not even know what that is but it works for me.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:20 AM

I purchased a couple of plastic jelly roll containers from Hobby Lobby with 40% coupons. I keep all my partial unused jelly rolls in one. I separate the different jelly roll leftovers with an index card. In the other one I store opened unused jelly rolls until I find a project for them. Each container can hold several jelly rolls.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:47 AM

great idea!!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:11 AM
DJ

That's a great quilt! I like your solution for this project.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:31 AM

What a delightful quilt--some child will enjoy it.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Love your idea. I have been working with a lot of scraps lately and I have a mess. Going to try your way, Thank You.
Love your quilt to.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:52 AM

I hang my cutting mat from one when not in use.

A friend usues large safety pins and a regular hanger to hang her strips until ready to use. Instead of undoing the pin to get them off she just cuts them off near the pin as she uses them. She has many bundles hanging from the same hanger.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:03 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606811[/ATTACH]I used a thick strip of cardboard to attach onto the hangers with their own clips with the clothes hangers, and then put my bargello pieces over the cardboard then used those red and purple clips to hold them onto the cardboard until I get the 2 fabric bargellos completed - Have another red one to cut out and put together, need to have them ready for our local quilt show.....in April 2019 I find these hangers really useful for a lot of things. Now I see there are more ideas on this board, thanks everyone for sharing.[ATTACH=CONFIG]606812[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]606813[/ATTACH]I want to share my find with you as well, I found at a local hardware store - this portable hanger which will fit over any door, in the closed position, easy to remove and store and when you need it just hang it over the top of a door, open it up and the metal bar slides down and you can hang up anything you need to hang, wet or dry.
Attached Thumbnails quilt-bargello-2-cutting-hanging-done-jan-14-2019.jpg   portable-hangers-1.jpg   portable-hangers-2.jpg  

Last edited by d.rickman; 01-15-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
I've been doing a lot of strip/scrappy quilting making quilts for kid's in cancer units our KEYS program visits. While it's a lot of fun, I was frustrated because I couldn't keep my strips neatly sorted. After just a few minutes they become a mumbled jumble of sizes and colors all mixed up.

I recently purged my closet and had several clip hangers with nothing to hold, so it occurred to me to use them to hold my strips! I, once again, sorted them by length and this time I clipped each section to a hanger. My shelf has a short rail so I hooked the hangers over that.

Now I just unclip the length I want to use, pick out which color I want and then clip it back on the hanger. The stack of strips stays neat and sorted for easy picking of the next strip. I finished another top and my strips stayed neat the whole time!!!
First photo is my hangers with strips and the second is the top I finished today! Sorry the fabric behind the hangers makes it hard to see very well.
Some of you who have shared scraps and orphan blocks with me might recognize some in the quilt top. I am putting all those to good use! This is my 4th top finished. After the 5th one I will layer and quilt them all.
Brilliant! What a great idea. And I absolutely love the wild and scrappy nature of that quilt. It's fabulous!