Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A great use for clip clothes hangers >

A great use for clip clothes hangers

A great use for clip clothes hangers

Old 01-13-2019, 06:37 PM

Default A great use for clip clothes hangers

I've been doing a lot of strip/scrappy quilting making quilts for kid's in cancer units our KEYS program visits. While it's a lot of fun, I was frustrated because I couldn't keep my strips neatly sorted. After just a few minutes they become a mumbled jumble of sizes and colors all mixed up.

I recently purged my closet and had several clip hangers with nothing to hold, so it occurred to me to use them to hold my strips! I, once again, sorted them by length and this time I clipped each section to a hanger. My shelf has a short rail so I hooked the hangers over that.

Now I just unclip the length I want to use, pick out which color I want and then clip it back on the hanger. The stack of strips stays neat and sorted for easy picking of the next strip. I finished another top and my strips stayed neat the whole time!!!
First photo is my hangers with strips and the second is the top I finished today! Sorry the fabric behind the hangers makes it hard to see very well.
Some of you who have shared scraps and orphan blocks with me might recognize some in the quilt top. I am putting all those to good use! This is my 4th top finished. After the 5th one I will layer and quilt them all.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606706[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]606707[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails clip-hangers-work.jpg   one-more-top-done.jpg  

Last edited by wildyard; 01-13-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:04 PM

I use those hangers to organize my little quilts that I have for each month. I can hang three on each hanger. so four holds the entire year.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:07 PM

What a great idea and quilt!!
Old 01-13-2019, 07:13 PM

Those skirt hangers (and pant hangers) sure make neat storage . I do the same for WIPs that are ironed.

I recognize the turquoise doggie with bowls . Nit sure I gave it to you but I’ve used it. Your quilt is so wild and crazy fun !!! Eye candy!
Old 01-13-2019, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Those skirt hangers (and pant hangers) sure make neat storage . I do the same for WIPs that are ironed.

I recognize the turquoise doggie with bowls . Nit sure I gave it to you but I’ve used it. Your quilt is so wild and crazy fun !!! Eye candy!
Smiles, I didn't buy that fabric so 'someone' sent it to me! Thank you again if it was you!!!
Old 01-13-2019, 09:10 PM
Power Poster

Cute top! I save the plastic hangers with the clips that I get at Walmart on clothes.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:55 PM

Creat ideas for hangers & strips. and Great quilt.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:38 AM

Wonderful idea for your strips...it looks like it’s working great for you. Love your scrappy quilt.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:01 AM

What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing
Old 01-14-2019, 05:52 AM

As I starch my fabrics beforehand I use these hangers to hang up my starched fabrics to dry. I attached a large dowel rod over my sink down here in the basement sewing room just for that purpose. I also use a folding laundry dryer rack to hang a bunch of strips. This is that old time wooden rack with rods going across on both sides. I started using it when I made my 1st and only bargello as there were plenty of space to put each row in order. Now I've got it out to hold various sections of whatever quilt I'm working on. Folds up when not in use.