Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GRRRRR - broke it!

Try using a rechargable mustache trimmer...it's a speedy way to rip when you have a lot..
    LilaKay...greatgramma to Brielle Mae

I have never had one like that. I have several different rippers, none have broken!!

Power Poster
    Sorry about the aggravation with the seam rippers - for all of you.

Those were really pretty fabrics you purchased at WM - I'll have to look again - didn't like what I had been seeing lately.

Yes, Mine are still sharp after 4 years. The ones with the big handle.

cathyvv,
    that is the way I have always done it. Works great for all the ripping we somehow end up doing. I hope you are enjoying your Myrtle Beach weather - my mom lives there and it is 42 degrees and very cold rainy in Ohio today.
    Busy in Ohio

Kelsunshine, I buy my surgical seam ripper from Havel's. Love theirs.
    Karen in Kentucky

I use snips that have a curved end (similar to a hook) as a seam ripper. I snip every third stitch then on the opposite side pull the intact thread and done. Saves me from ripping and distorting the fabric using a ripper (bad ripper skills which I guess is good in a way lol!).
    From the heart
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    I broke one a couple of weeks ago, but I was using it as a screwdriver. However, I had had it for years. Never broke one if I was using it for its intended purpose.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I very rarly use a seam ripper. I like to use a pair of sharp pointed scissors to clip the thread every 3 to 4 stitches along the sewing line. I then flip the fabric over and the solid thread on that side will usually pull right out.
    Great minds think alike!
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by LilaKay View Post
    Try using a rechargable mustache trimmer...it's a speedy way to rip when you have a lot..
    Excellent suggestion! I bought a Wahl rechargeable at WalMart. It's faaaabulous for ripping when you have a lot to rip out. (Something which has never happened to me, my Wahl is collecting dust and has never been used I'll have you know.... cough, cough).
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

I have never had a ripper break on me.....as I read thru responses, I noticed it was mentioned this is a F&P product.....I certainly would contact them and let them know.....can't hurt......I always buy "cheap" ones at Jo
    Ann with a coupon or when notions dept has 50%off.......I "lose" them....so I have to keep a few on hand...then when I clean up I found all the lost puppies.......

sap
    I use surgical scalpals for a seam ripper. Went to a surgical supply store and bought a box (12) of them, I'm still using the first one. If it begins to feel dull I draw it across a whit stone a couple of times then I'm back in business. It' been over 20 years.

I have a Gingher one with replaceable blades and just love it. It was expensive (even with JoAnn coupon) but it is just a beautiful sleek "artsy" looking object (!) and very comfortable in my hand.

You're my kind of girl (assuming you're not a guy quilter). I, too, use either the stainless steel ripper or tiny embroidery scissors. They are so easy to use & seem less likely to nip fabric.

I haven't broken one , yet. But they sure get dull.

After trying more seam rippers than I can remember, I finally found the Clover white round handled one is wonderful. Now, if I could just find more of them...cause you know I've got to have one in each room w/each machine and then back-ups too. Right now I've got a table runner I need to take apart. Not cause my friend isn't happy, she is. It's me, I didn't make the oval ends rounded enough and every time I looked at it, it bugged me big time. So now it's on the redo pile. I don't mind redoing. If I could find the fabric, which I got at a yard sale years ago, I'd just make her another. But no, I've used it all up. It's it the case the odd pc of fabric you find is what is loved the most.
    Anyway, about the seam ripper, check out Clover's, you might like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Allary-Combi-C.../dp/B00555I79G
    Check out this one. I am on my third or fourth one in approximately 30 year period. They stay sharp a long time. It has a small point I slip under the stitches and cut every half inch or so. I have heard the eyebrow trimmers work good. I am not sure I am calling them the right thing. I grew up using a single edge razor blade to rip stitches out with. They work great but you have to be careful to not cut your fabric.

I have broken a Fons and Porter seam ripper. Guess I was ripping too vigorously. lol. My second F & P ripper is still going strong.

I, too, like the surgical seam ripper. Pooh on the ones that broke for everyone.

Blog Entries
    I use the little scissors doc;'s use to take out stitches. It has a small hook on one edge so you can get under the stitch you need to rip & is small & more controlable so you dont slip & maybe cut the fabric. the doc's throw them away. I have several from when my husband was in the Hosp. so when when gets dull I throw it.
    Eve

I have a little foldable Dritz which has a slightly smaller blade which I love. I can't imagine breaking a seam, must be some heavy duty thread
    pat design

Blog Entries
    I use the cheapest ones available, because they seem to get lost. There is an Amish place in Arthur, Illinois, Miller's Dry Goods that has them for under a dollar. I grab a double handfull ever time we go there. They are very sharp and I keep them at all my work stations, each sewing machine, the couch and family room. No excuse for not having them available. I would like to have one of those surgical ones they are posting about too.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

Blog Entries
    oh sorry. i use my small rotary cutter to rip out stitches. like Eleanor Burns of Quilt in a Day show.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Dee
    I have one like that also. 2 years. I guess I 'll be counting down. I have 3 other kind for spare.

Blog Entries
    WOW - no matter how we rip - seems like we have ripping in common!
    Quilting in the Desert

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast