Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: GRRRRR - broke it!

GRRRRR - broke it!

What's wrong with this picture? I'm ripping away where I sewed the first long diagonal on a quilt - in lovely cream thread - on a dark brown backing. (No, I don't want the quilting to show enough to leave cream thread on a brown backing.) So rip, rip, rip - in fact, I've been doing it a little at a time for several days cause ... I just hate to rip. So tonight - gonna git it done and ... broke the thing. Guess I'm headed to Wal-mart to get another one. Good thing ours is 24/7.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    So many quilts, so little time.

Blog Entries
    I have purchased 2 Fons & Porter rippers and both broke the first time I used them!!
    Patski
    always learning

I had one like that. It broke too.

It's lasted for 2 years. I could wait till the morning and get one at the quilt shop, but ... I want it tonight and 2 years is long enough for what I spent on it. It has seen LOTS of stitches. I've made 55 quilts and more table runners than I can remember. Probably ripped a bit on every one of those! RIP little Dritz ripper.

PS. I think this is post 1000 for me. Whoo-hoo!
    Last edited by JanTx; 04-20-2012 at 05:27 PM.

I bought 3 of those at the same time - all three broke right away.

I broke mine, that was just like yours, 2 nights ago. Think I will buy a cheaper one, (not that this one was expensive) they last longer!
    Aronel aka Lee

Blog Entries
    I like Clover for a regular seam ripper. I use the surgical blades seam ripper the most. It zips a seam like a zipper and just as fast.
    Got fabric?

I use the surgical seam rippers too...got tired of the "cheap" ones going dull or breaking. I have one that I can replace the blade when necessary...I have had it two years and it's still VERY sharp.
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

I got one with a light on it as a Christmas gift last year.
    Thought it would be awesome with a light on it.
    The second time I used it - it broke.
    Don't remember the brand but I had it on a wishlist from Joann's.

Quote Originally Posted by Drue View Post
    I use the surgical seam rippers too...got tired of the "cheap" ones going dull or breaking. I have one that I can replace the blade when necessary...I have had it two years and it's still VERY sharp.
    Where do you get the surgical seam ripper?

My Fons & Porter seam ripper broke also, I had only used it a few times.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Okay $4 for the ripper, but the trip to Walmart cost me $101. LOOK! It's a LAW somewhere that when there's a clerk in the fabric dept one MUST buy fabric! I make cloth napkins for my church secret pal - since January they have been seasonal so for the next several months she's going to get blender napkins. AND my grandson is coming to visit tomorrow. My son is a single dad and the dear child shows up in some of the strangest outfits so -- a couple of shorts and t-shirts showed up in my basket. Face wash, sinus stuff, and a tiny little ice cream - Ben and Jerry's.... that sure was an expensive ripper!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, you are right! But what a nice haul.

Power Poster
    I very rarly use a seam ripper. I like to use a pair of sharp pointed scissors to clip the thread every 3 to 4 stitches along the sewing line. I then flip the fabric over and the solid thread on that side will usually pull right out.

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I have purchased 2 Fons & Porter rippers and both broke the first time I used them!!
    I broke 4 F&P seam rippers before I gave up. I loved them while they were whole, however.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
    Okay $4 for the ripper, but the trip to Walmart cost me $101. LOOK! It's a LAW somewhere that when there's a clerk in the fabric dept one MUST buy fabric! I make cloth napkins for my church secret pal - since January they have been seasonal so for the next several months she's going to get blender napkins. AND my grandson is coming to visit tomorrow. My son is a single dad and the dear child shows up in some of the strangest outfits so -- a couple of shorts and t-shirts showed up in my basket. Face wash, sinus stuff, and a tiny little ice cream - Ben and Jerry's.... that sure was an expensive ripper!
    beautiful fabric, I even like the pink and I hate pink.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I very rarly use a seam ripper. I like to use a pair of sharp pointed scissors to clip the thread every 3 to 4 stitches along the sewing line. I then flip the fabric over and the solid thread on that side will usually pull right out.
    I agree. I never use a seam ripper either. I have a pair of the Havel squizzers that have super tiny points and they're nice and sharp. You never slip and accidentally rip your fabric because the seam ripper is duller than dishwater.

I use a seam ripper, but I slip the point under the top thread every 1.5 to 2", tip the point away from the fabric slightly, then apply light pressure to clip the thread. Then, like you, I pull the bottom thread out of the fabric.

No doubt it's still possible to slip and cut the fabric, but haven't slipped since I figured out this method after a disastrous slip.

cathyvv - that's how I do it too. Never have ripped fabric, but doesn't mean I won't. My grandmother used a razor blade, but we were mainly sewing clothes - pull that seam a bit apart and cut away.

I use a Dritz (I think--no markings on it). I never have one long enough for it to dull or break. Either my dog gets it & chews it up or I lose it. I'm to the point now that I buy 3 or 4 at a time. That reminds me--I have to get a couple more, lost 2 last week--no idea where they disappear to.

I just bought the one with the light last week, I sure hope it does not break.

Blog Entries
    I bought a Janome, broke it, the store replaced it and the second one broke right away. It looked just like my Elna one that lasted 30 years until I misplaced it. Right now I'm liking a pink Singer one.

Wow, I've never broken a seam ripper, just used them to the point of worthlessly dull. At this point my hands will tolerate the small ones. Once I go ergonomic, that probably changes, huh?
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

BTW, I think your Walmart finds more than made up for the frustration! Gorgeous fabric!
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

I'm the odd one...I never can find mine so I use my scissors siting by my machine. Just one blade ...I have never cut my fabric so guess I've gotten good lol
    *Rachel*

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast